Bounding Pulse

joshrandall

Does anyone else have this. Very hard deep pulse, I was told I had some leakage in valve, but that everyone has some leakage. Its not necessarily really fast, it just beats really hard. Just abit worried about aortical regurgitation and hypertrophy, but was told my echo was fine because I also get a wet feeling on my chest, but wouldnt this show up on x ray mind you I dont get the wet feeling everyday. Literally feel your heart bouncing in your chest and on your wrist.

Hard not to worry when its to do with your heart. I have an appointment Jan 8th with cardio doc.

Yes, I have had periods where my pulse was hard (pounding heart). I could see it on my chest, stomach. I could see it in my neck. I can see it in my wrists. I can always see my pulse on my wrists since I don't have much fat in them however, when it pounds, I can see that it jumps up more.

It was uncomfortable so I was prescribed metoprolol, and later bisoprolol.

That was one of my very first symptoms, almost before the POTS really started. I could have a normal heart rate, but it would be bounding so much that, like bigtrouble, I could see and feel my pulse in my neck, wrists, stomach, etc. It was super uncomfortable. I had that symptom pretty much non-stop for the first three to six months that I had POTS. Turned out there were two things that caused it in my case: episodes of high blood pressure, and pretty much constant sympathetic over-activation. My echo was fine. Had some physiologic regurgitation, but physiologic regurgitation is something you see on many (if not most) healthy people's echos). Being put on Klonopin pretty much eliminated this symptom, although I do still get it occasionally. Beta blockers were also really good at calming down a bounding pulse, but I can't take them right now as I my resting pulse is too low.

Fluid overload (if for some reason you're retaining too much fluid) can cause a bounding pulse also, but in my case with my tests showing that I was hypovolemic, that wasn't a concern.

Good luck with the cardio appointment!

thanks for the replies, yes I have this at certain times, usually after eating big meals. I know its happening coz I feel dizzy and light headed usually I wonder, what is the best way to convince a cardiologist of dysautonomia? I know alot dont want to listen when your labelled with anxiety so I thought perhaps Id take a pulse watch and show him that when i sit down to when i stand up my hr goes up abit?

Depends on the cardiologist. I had several that I saw after I had a concrete diagnosis of POTS from a very reputable cardiology center, who told me it was anxiety and to see a psychotherapist. Even though I was hospitalized for a ridiculously high pulse, and they could clearly see on the monitor that my pulse jumped about 100 bpm when I stood up to go to the bathroom, they told me it was all in my head.

I find it's helpful to bring a few things with me to the appointment:

- List of the top most troubling symptoms I have, even if they seem unrelated to the condition I'm going in for

- A symptom timeline (when it started, how it progressed, etc - I keep it brief)

- A chart of several Poor Man's Tilt table tests I've done at home (lie down for 30 minutes, record pulse and BP, then stand for 10 minutes. Record pulse and BP every 1-3 minutes while standing).

- An article on diagnosis of POTS by Dr. Grubb (who is a highly esteemed cardiologist). http://dynakids.org/Documents/pots_article2.pdf

Very often, I also bring a summary of tests I've had done and the results, since my records now exceed well over 100 pages, and it's really hard for them to go through all of that at one visit. So a one page summary helps direct them to the appropriate tests / results if they need to look over something.

I think it's a good idea to bring your pulse watch and show the doctor in the office what your pulse is doing when you go from supine to standing. I've done that in many offices, and it's been very helpful.

And, keep in mind that many general cardiologists are used to looking for heart disease (which people with POTS typically don't have). So, if they don't see evidence of blocked arteries or arrhythmias, you may be told you're fine. Depending on how POTS literate your specific cardiologist is (or isn't), an electrophysiologist (specific type of cardiologist) or autonomic neurologist may be necessary for correct diagnosis in some cases.

Great! thanks a lot I will certainly do this, then they at least have to take me seriously, thanks for the response. The only thing ive noticed though is that my pulse jumps high from sitting to standing but it doesnt always stay high sometimes it just comes back down within the minute bare in mind this is only like, laying for 15 minutes, so I dont know. I need to do it for half an hour. Im very exercise intolerant just went up and down stairs and my hr got to 160.