local anasthetic at the dentists!

Just another strange question. I've had POTS for about 18 months, but for many years, I've found that local anasthetic with adrenalin in it at the dentist made me feel pretty woozy and didn't kill the pain even in huge doses. About 3 years ago, my dentist was finally convinced it didn't work on me and now always uses an anaesthetic without adrenalin.

Anyone else had this? Makes me wonder if I had something low-level happening all along.

Also, if you are going to the dentist, I guess it is worth letting them know to avoid adrenalin. It wouldn't have occurred to me before I had problems; UK dentists seem to use adrenalin as standard, but don't tell you about it! I guess it could do pretty serious things to some of us!

Felicity.

Hi,

I had that problem since childhood and dentist thought I was fainting because I was afraid of the needle. I kept telling me that if he does all his work without anethetic I will be fine. So when I got my POTS diagnosis 3 years ago we changed to no adrenaline anesthetic is I don't faint in his chair anymore. It's nice to be cured instantly!

Ernie

Hi Felicity,

I think I remember correctly from another post that you also suffer from Ehlers-danlos syndrome. (Sorry if my memory is playing tricks!!!!!!!!) But with EDS Type 3 local anaesthetics are ineffective. The docs do not entirely know why, but they do recognise and accept this as a fact.

I did not realise about the adrenaline and the POTS though!

Hope this is of some help.

Felicity,

please check out some old posts on this topic...

there is one from feb. 3, 2005 by JLB titled 'merrill, a question for you...'

there are several others if you type in 'dentist' and 'merrill' for your search...

i don't know antying about this topic, but merrill and stacey are experts on it...so check out these posts!

i don't know how to post links to old posts...someone will have to teach me! that will make it easier for you!

hope this helps!

emily

i don't get anything but my headset and radio, very loud rock and roll, have for years.

when i was about 11-12, i had a tooth removed and lost 3 days and woke up in the hospital, since then, i just use me radio and alot of self-control.

ps. it helps an awlful lot if the guy cleaning your teeth has eyes like Christopher Reeves, that kinda blue you could dive into and just melt.

blackwolf

Thanks for this; I found the old discussions and links. I don't have Ehlers-danlos syndrome (officially, but then mostly they've just looked at my heart rate so far), but definitely have this resistance. My dentist will be pleased to get some kind of explanation.

Felicity.