Raw GI tract

geneva

Having a rough few days and can't remember what to do that might help? My intestines feel RAW and everything seems to unsettle things more. I use Hyosycamine for the spasm which have stopped but still feels like heck today. I've tried peppermint tea and only eaten a little white rice today with broth. I'm probably going to start on Ensure again although the sugar is more than I would like..and some baby foods (yum). I know these espisodes usually resolve in 7 to 10 days but wondering if any of you have easy foods you use during these periods?

I know this sounds weird, but my GI doc had me taking a teaspoon of olive oil to help with the spasms and to calm things down. It helped a little. Another thing I do is have a little peanut butter on my rice bread--it seems to coat things for me, and once I get it down, doesn't tend to want to come back up the way some other foods do to me.

I'll also have rice cereal, such as the baby cereal--I mix it with soy milk.

Certain foods just make me feel worse--like broth, jello, plain rice and chicken. Maybe it's my association with all those GI tests I've had and prep for those. Also, I can't seem to handle milk products when my guts are cranky.

I'm going through a simliar cycle to you--I sure to feel for ya! Nina

I can only answer that from my own personal experience (so, it's not a medically based answer). Yes, for me, overexertion freaks my guts out. So does emotional stress. Mostly, though, my GI upsets come from taking certain meds.

Funny how we both do the peanut-butter therapy ;) literally and figuratively sticks with me :)

Nina

Sometimes I find that a shot of aloe vera - papya juice helps. Some health food stores carry and I also hear that places like Trader Joes (regional) and Costco also have begun to carry gallon sizes. Keep it in the fridge and try 2 ounces at a time. For me it's very soothing. The papya helps the stomach enzymes and the aloe heals the tissue.

Good luck dear. Hope this passes soon.

EM

I just went through this myself- it seems like very time I have a POTS spell, the tummy problems go hand-in-hand. Last week I coldn't eat a thing for at least 4-5 days and I was using the bathroom all day long- my stomach is just getting back to normal today. I find that the only thing that helps me is to rest and relax, and eat soothing foods- like Nina said, rice is pretty gentle, and I am gluten sensitive so I can't eat bread and stuff like that- so the rice pasta and rice cereals are gentle. Hope you feel better soon!!

Yeah, wonder if we are all on the same cycle ;) I've had tummy issues for a while but do find that when I over do it, like this past week that my whole body is out of sorts, esp the GI issues. I too use aloe vera juice and papya, high in sugars but seem to help for me. I also notice that I crave honey at times like this, peanut butter and honey?? Who knows? But interesting that we all have it :)

Yes!! Peanut butter and honey!!!! I live on that stuff when my guts are cranky. That's kind of strange that we all have happened upon the same foods to settle things down--and that they're definitely NOT foods that a GI doc would suggest as easy to digest. Go figure ;)

Nina :)

Yes peanut butter is the BEST! I smashed up a banana and mixed in some peanut butter this morning and it went down ok. I also love honey but wouldn't have thought about it because of the sugar.

If I were on SURVIVOR and could take 1 luxury item it would be Peanut Butter..if I could take a second item I think it would be the Saltine crackers to put the PB on!!

I am not in as much discomfort or pain today -- YEAH -- and am enjoying a full day of staying in my night clothes reading a new book. The nights are the worst though and last night I tried sleeping in the recliner which helped some. Hopefully tonight I can move back to the bedroom.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I am going to have to look for the juice suggested.

I do. My health food store also only carries the aloe vera straight. However the stuff tastes .... really bad. Perhaps you can buy some papaya juice at the market and mix them together.

Here's a web page on the benifits of Aloe vera -- alone.

http://www.naturalhealthmarket.com/aloe/aloejuice.htm

About a dozen years ago I was taking tagament and donatol on a regular basis for my IBS. Then my chiropractor friend asked me to try the aloe papaya juice. I started taking about 2 ounces before each meal and within a few months I was off the meds for good. I still keep some on hand (it lasts forever in the fridge) and when my kids have upset tummies or I am feeling a bit "off" I take some and it helps. I buy a brand that we have in one of our local stores now ... but when I started I bought it from New Spirit Naturals -- below are some links if you are interested.

http://www.newspirit.com/products/superfoods.asp

http://www.natwayhealth.com/20/207.htm?464

http://aloelife.com/ezStore123/DTProductZo...sp?productID=11

Good thoughts,

EM