Having Pots As A Guy

Hi everyone. My name is John. I was just diagnosed with POTS and this is my first post on the forum.

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm wondering if there are any other guys on the forum that have POTS. Iet seems like nearly everyone that's been diagnosed with POTS is a girl. In all honesty, I've been having somewhat of a hard time coming to grips w/ the idea of being diagnosed with a "girl's disease". (I know that may sound silly or stupid, but its no fun.)

Are there any other guys on the forum? If not, are you aware of any blogs written by guys with POTS I could possibly get some direction from? I'm certainly open to any other advice or suggestions others may have.

Hi and Welcome. Sorry you have reason to be here.

Not a guy but there are guys on here. If you search for posts by Ramakentesh, POTLUCK, andybones, RichGotPOTs you will find them. There are others as well, it's just the ones that I can think of offhand.

Hope you find answers and support here.

I believe they say it's 4 or 5:1 Women to Men ratio who are diagnosed with this. Since they think it may be autoimmune for some of us, that makes sense as that's about the same ratio of Women to Men who are diagnosed with autoimmune diseases. There is a doc in Florida who has documented the differences in the female vs male immune system which may account for this.

Whatever your gender it's totally lousy having the disease. Hang in there.

You are not the only one. A man's man can get this like any other.

Much that the women go through is what we go through, though everyone is different (of course). So what the women find that helps them apply to us etc. I would say the main difference is what they experience that we do not. Their cycles, pregnancy, etc. Then there might be some minor differences like how we might deal with it, the dynamics in the home, etc.

There is the occasional post that we have to skim over, and I do out of respect, but the rest will be applicable for both sexes.

Don't feel alone. You are not the only one.

Iv been researching non stop for a while now and it has come to my attention that there are many other causes to POTS than girl hormones. Some others and I have been discussing mast cell issues, and a number of genetic issues.

Also, it has been my experience in my profession that men are way less likely to seek help because many have been socialized to tough it out and pull them selves up by their boot straps. Seeking answers to what seems to be a (debilitating) ghost issue might be hard for some to do. Women tend to talk, think tank over things, support....these are all help seeking behaviors that are encouraged in our socialization.

As with many conditions, the numbers are only based on those who report. For instance, more women have depression yet more men commit suicide. So, if men reported depression and were treated, these numbers might change drastically.

I cant say for sure that the statistics for POTS would change, but I would not be surprised if they did.

I have learned just as much from the men here as the women. I am certain that you have much to offer and learn without being concerned about gender.

Hi atticus and welcome!

I am a guy with POTS too.

And I absolutely second sunshinegirl's thoughts about the validity of the usually reported gender ratio! To be honest, I simply don't believe it.

There may be some reasons for a greater number of females than males with POTS. But the ratio is definitely not 4:1 or even 5:1 as always.

I remember I study that included POTS patients treated at Vanderbilt and a sample of young Austrian (male only) Army recruits being 18-20 years old. In the latter group, The cardiologist here in Vienna found that 12% (!!!) of the male soldiers out of 500 had POTS.

My 20 year old son has POTS and MCAS. As SunshineGirl pointed out, many men don't seek help. I wish my son would join the forum, but he doesn't like to discuss his illnesses. I have done all the research on his behalf, granted he became ill in middle school. He just pushes through and doesn't like to talk much about it. When I find new studies, etc. he just doesn't care to know. It might be his age, I'm not sure.

Christy

Hi John and sorry you have to be here with the rest of us. Yes it is more prevalent in Women but here are more men out there with it that have not been diagnosed yet i think. I had it all my life but was 50 before I was diagnosed.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum!

I know it must be hard to be a guy, in particular, with an illness that makes your body feel weak. It's not really something society accepts from men very easily. But, I really believe those of us that live with this illness, for any length of time, are some of the toughest people I know. To find a way to live, really live, with this, you have to be mentally tough and I think that's something you can hold on to. Most people couldn't walk a day in our shoes....literally!

Keep your chin up,

Katie