Career And Pots

mplocki

Careers and POTS  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just dx'd a couple of weeks ago and before the beginning of May was able to work and drive all over the place. I am a Professional Counselor and have worked as a Program Director for in home behavioral therapy for kids with Autism. I had to stop with the company I was contracting with because I have no longer been able to drive due to not being able to even sit upright for a period of time or be in the field because it requires time on the feet and activity with the people I supervised and the kids they worked with. So...now, I have been applying to every online job possible and have started teaching online, doing some online tutoring, and some odd and end online jobs. I was the main income provider so my family has taken a huge hit, and I am not able to make even close to as much as I used to, but I am taking what I can get. These posts do give me hope that some day I will be able to work in the field again.

Prov 31mom,

I am sure you will be able to find the work you need online eventually, as special ed is is such high demand and there is, unfortunately, such a booming population with autism.

It sounds like your diagnosis was quite recent and symptom onset sudden. A couple of things make me think that you possibly have an autoimmune basis to your symptoms: sig weight loss, low-grade fever, endo (very high rate with autoimmune diseases), D-deficiency, pre-diabetes. Have you been worked up for lupus? Ankylosing spondylitis (spine arthritis)? These are just some thoughts I had when I read your profile.

That has got to be extremely stressful being the main support for your family. Have you applied for disability? I hope that you are able to get some help so that you can concentrate on stabilizing your health for the long-term. Hugs!

Thanks so much, Nymph! It feels as though I have an autoimmune disease, but all my ANA and inflammatory marker tests (which I find strange since I have noted inflammation in my body) have been normal so they don't think I do. And, yes, I was just dx with POTs a few weeks ago and Orthostatic Hypotension a month ago. These symptoms started after I had my gallbladder removed at the end of April. Most of my other symptoms started 6-7 months ago.

Luckily my husband got a little bit of a better paying job during all this which helps and we have qualified for some public assistance- my baby has some challenging issues as well so it helps a lot for his really expensive formula that is now being taken care of, etc, but I still made much more. Also, I am self-employed so unable to get SDI. If it seems like I won't be better for a while I am going to try to apply for SSI. I am doing what I can and having some luck with some online stuff so hopefully things will work out.

Thank you!