Tilt Table Monday Advice?

Hi Sheri Lynn,

Caffeine and nicotine are both stimulants and so, yes, they affect your heart rate and your catecholamine levels which determine how your body reacts to stressors, in this case, the change from supine to upright. If you are on meds, your docs should have discussed what you should and shouldn't take for a few days before the test. If they didn't, be sure to discuss what meds you have taken before they start the test.

Otherwise, I went into my test hoping I would turn into a hot, shaky, sweaty, dry - heaving mess and that the monitor would show what was causing it. I figured if I got "sick" during the test that was really a good thing because it would help give us a diagnosis, and, it did!

I would suggest taking gatorade, water, and something bland to eat for after the test. The hospital where I had mine the first time did provide ginger ale and cookies for after but you never know. Also (I can't remember if this was required or not), but I had someone drive me both times as I was in no shape to be driving after the test. And, I don't know what your schedule is like but I wouldn't plan on doing anything for the rest of the day besides resting.

Best of luck on Monday! I hope the test brings you some answers.

Katie

Dr and I discussed what meds to avoid. I had to stop my beta blocker Fri and I can't belive how much worse my hr and dizziness is.

Most can't understand why I'm hoping to get sick, at this point I'm sure all of us just want answers . lol

The ride home makes me nervous ..I plan to work that day then I have a 45 min drive home after the test.... May make alternative plans after hearing from you guys!

Thanks die for the advice.I'll pack some applesauce or apple chips. I had planned to take water as my trusty bottle is always with me lol.

Hi,

I haven't actually had the tilt table test but I've had the equivalent test where you're lying down and then standing for about 45 minutes.

I would personally recommend not working that day after the test but give yourself time to rest and build up afterwards, but of course you know your body best and what you can handle. Also caffeine can stay in your system and skew results longer than 4 hours, unless you need to I think it would be best to stop caffeine longer before the test than that to get the most accurate results. Again that's just personal opinion and not medical advice.

I hope that your test goes well and you get the results that you need.

Best Wishes,

Lyla

I won't have results until Thursday. The tech doing the test told me as soon as she elevated me my bp spiked and hr jumped over 20bpm. My hr stayed high but didn't raise above 117 and everything became normal within one minute of laying me back down. The same thing happened when she stood me up off the table.

Any ideas??? Please! I'm nervous that something happened but I may not have met criteria!