High Heart Rate And Exhaustion...tracking

I got this new watch that is meant for exercise training but Iv been using it to track my heart rate in different circumstances. Its called the Polar FT7. It was the most accurate as far as reviews go. The monitor is a small belt around the ribs that syncs with the watch. When I start feeling very poor, I put on a training "session" to record what goes on. Then I can up load it to a program on my computer.

I am doing all of this as a way to collect data and experiment. For me, my high heart rate is the second most troubling symptom. I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between my heart rate and other symptoms such as sweating all night, feelings of doom, position, eating..and so on.

So far, I have found that if I exercise and let my heart rate stay above 150 for too long, I will create a problem for myself. Its like I get too much adrenalin and cant get rid of it. I feel "spiked" for the next 12 or more hours. This leads into the next day where I am too tired to do anything and bloating.

It also seems that as the years have passed my heart rate has changed to always being on high. Interestingly, I am less dizzy than I used to be. The only thing I can think of is that my heart is over compensating. Id almost rather be dizzy all the time than live with the feeling of being strung out like a high wire.

Has anyone found other ways to measure and document that reveals good information? How do you track things?

Anyone else have a constant high heart rate...like 130 + just for standing?

I feel allergic to living because I constantly have a visceral response to just about everything.

Hi Sunshinegirl

I used to track my heart rate closely. When my POTS symptoms were very severe my heart rate would be 80-90 lying down and as high as 140-160 just standing and walking! Now that I am better (years later) I can still have episodes of tachycardia but it is typically on standing and my heart rate is rarely above 120 just standing. I do find I am worse in the AM and if I am dehydrated. Also sometimes after eating a meal.

I also take a low dose of a beta blocker that helps tamp down my heart rate a bit.

I have used a Polar heart monitor for 8 years now tracking my heart rate, especially when exercising. I have had much improvement with my heart rate, but like you my adrenalin will spike, but mine doesn't spike until six hours later. I can't take many meds so when it's overwhelming I use a Xanax to help slow it down. I have started biking to help improve my strength and use a garmin odometer. It measures my heart rate the entire time I'm riding. I then dump this info onto a site called starva and my doc can go in it as well to see how I'm doing. He wants me to train in the 140's trying not to go higher then that. I find that if I keep it in the 140's I can bike for two hours and not get that spike. I also don't exercise too late in the day so that my body has time to relax.

Momtogiuliana

In having the same issues with high heat rate.started beta blocker about three weeks ago, and to keep some with dizziness. I really want to get one of the monitors to keep an eye on the hr as I'm still searching for a dx. During my sleep study my hr didn't drop below 90 to 110. Any suggestions? I'm sorry you went through that but it does help to know I'm not alone. Thank you !

Hi Sheri Lynn

The only thing that corrected my situation was time. The beta blocker helped, but I had to cut the dosage down b/c it was knocking my bp too low. My doctor was never concerned that I had a hr consistently over 80. Apparently that is not technically tachycardia and not a concern for causing heart damage either. I think in the 120 bpm+ range (I mean staying consistently there, even when at rest) that starts to become a concern as far as heart damage. I know it is uncomfortable and even scary.

I too use a Polar HR monitor to watch my HR with all activities during the day. I had testing done at Workwell Foundation which showed that I hit my VO2 max (aka anaerobic threshold) at a much lower level than a normal person would. Now I use my HR monitor to try to stay below that anaerobic threshold with daily activities and thereby avoid the post-exertional fatigue that comes about after any serious exercise attempt that I make.

Nancy Klimas (at Nova Southeasten University) has study data which shows that people with ME/CFS have a whole cascade of symptoms that are triggered by exercise (or exertion), including the autonomic nervous system having problems which then triggers the immune system to malfunction. She presented this data to the CDC and a transcript is located here.

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/meetings/cfspcoca-01-2013.html

Information on the Workwell Foundations study, the latest one was published in Physical Therapy (journal), is located at this link.

http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ptj.20110368.short

If I exercise and get my HR up to a "normal" aerobic level, I have noticed my HR will stay elevated for the rest of the day and sometimes for another 24-48 hours afterwards. It also triggers a whole bunch of other symptoms. This has been a hard lesson to learn as I always liked to exercise in the past.