Missed A Dose Of My Beta Blocker

artluvr09

I never forget my meds! I had my pills in a 7 day pill organizer. I have a lot of pills and my atenolol is tiny. I take a half of a 25 mg of atenolol in the morning and the other half with dinner. For some reason I missed the pill because it was hidden in the corner when I took the rest this morning. I was wondering why I felt bad this morning. I was at the dentist at 9 am and had 3 cavities to be fixed. I had 3 shots of novocaine. It took an hour to get it done and for some reason my heart kept pounding fast and I was trembling a little which usually i'm fine and calm at the dentist. I have been very tired today as well.

Just missing that dose this morning made my heart rate faster and my heart race and pound more in my chest. I have also been feeling super tired, lightheaded and brain fog.

has anyone missed a dose of your beta blocker before and noticed side effects? I took my second dose at dinner and my heart racing is better but im still very tired!

Hey artluvr, hope you're feeling less tired now! I don't remember completely missing a dose of the beta blocker was on, but would get somewhat more heart racing when I took it late. I also just tapered off it entirely, and can tell you I definitely felt some side effects from that! I'd forgotten what it was like to get that kind of chest discomfort, spells of heart rate in the 140's+, attacks of shaking from head to toe, and weakness. Thankfully at least some of that seems to have been withdrawal and improved greatly after a couple days. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that kind of uproar on top of being at the dentist though :0

I've generally found that when my heart races more, for any reason, tend to get more tired for the rest of that day (and sometimes into the next). Hope that means you're feeling better by now!

Many, not all, but many beta blockers are short acting drugs. They are effective for the duration of that dose and not much longer. So, yes, missing one dose could allow your tachycardia to resurface. Some beta blockers have a short acting version and a long acting version. It depends on what your doctor prescribes for you. My doctor specifically gave me a short acting bb at first so we could see how I reacted to the med. If it made me sick/I was allergic to it, it would have cleared my system relatively quickly. Once we were comfortable with it, I switched to a long a ting dose that I could take at night to help offset some of the drowsiness a bb can cause.

• 3 weeks later...

i usually take my metoprolol with lunch but once i was out of town for the weekend and we did brunch instead...at four thirty my heart was hammering and i couldn't figure out why. when i remembered the forgotten dose i took it and started feeling better soon afterward. last week i had a brain fart moment where i couldn't remember if i'd taken my dose or not at lunch so i took a half just in case i had in fact already taken it. i did so well on half a dose that the next day i figured i'd try it again. nope. by 10 pm my tachycardia was back in full swing.