Bad Memory

Mike

Does anyone else have memory problems? I haven't had any doctors tell me having NCS can be associated with bad memory. There are times I forget so many things or forget things really fast. I had to download a notepad app on my smartphone to write down everything and at times that isn't enough cause if my phone isn't right next to me I'll probably forget by the several seconds it takes me to get to my phone.

Yes. It's common with several forms of dysautonomia. In theory, it's because we tend to not get enough blood to our brains (cerebral perfusion. ) I have it often and severely at times. I was in the shower the other morning and although I'm fairly sure I was actually almost finished washing myself, I suddenly couldn't remember AT ALL what I had done so far. I had to start all over again. I have to make lists of things I need to do or I'll completely forget things. I forgot my bank account number that I've had and known by heart for 25 years (lucky the tellers know me.) I have bad word search issues. My spelling has become awful (but I know things are spelled wrong because they don't look right, I just can't remember the proper spelling.) And if I'm saying something and get interrupted, unless someone can prompt me, what I was saying including the general subject is gone forever.

yes! mine gets crazy at times. Like my friend and I were at the dollar general like a month or two ago and I went in to pay for my stuff then I went to put one thing back and almost walked out the store with out the bag of stuff I bought!!! thank goodness the cashier reminded me! I also forget what I was going to say a lot or sometimes I walk into a room to get something and I totally forget why I was there!

I'm sorry to hear others experience what I do as well, but at the same time it is comforting because I worry that I have dementia. I have an alarm for my morning meds and sometimes I shut it off and still forget my meds. Now that is pretty bad. That happens especially if I'm in the middle of something and I think I will take it in a minute but it escapes me that soon. It is scary!

Welcome to brain fog! It can get so bad at times that I don't even attempt to carry on a conversation for fear I will look and sound ridiculous. When I can't remember names of people I see every day, I become frustrated and terribly annoyed. My kids got used to me calling them by the name of the dog. I apologize in advance when I teach and warn my students I may drop a sentence or two -may lose my train of thought - and will probably call something anatomical by the incorrect terminology....I have learned to live with it and can even laugh at myself - especially when others giggle with me!