Dysphagia,any One Had It?

Mike83IRL

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has had any experience of swallowing problems,associated or not with POTS/HYPO?,had a special kind of scope thingy put down my throat last month(sorry to get so technical),at my GP's request,they say I have muscle spasms in swallowing muscles,possibly due my cervical cord compression, anyone dealt with this?

I have a weird similar thing. When I get a trickle of water down my throat and cough hard,( like when you get a tickle and cough and cough, ) my throat closes for a few seconds, seems like forever. I try to relax and breathing slowly becomes possible. Sounds horrible as I try to squeeze in a bit of air. I also have had swallowing difficulty that comes and goes.

Yes. When they did my swallow exam, they came back and said I had a delayed reaction (I would start to swallow, but then my body would forget the rest of the action). They think mine is from the vomiting issues I've been having since last year, really kicked into gear early this year, but essentially my body doesn't know it can accept food since it was going in reverse so much.

Right now, it's not too bad. I do make sure I eat small bites, make sure my food is soft and "wet" (aka, using extra gravy on something that might be rough on my throat in the swallowing process is an example), and just going slow.

Swallowing was my very first complaint. Some of it was muscle control. Then I had a very dry throat, and excessive mucus secretions. It was a three part problem.

I did have an abnormal barium swallow test.

Fortunately, I have seen a lot of improvement.

CCBs are used for esophageal spasms. I am on one, and it has not dropped my blood pressure much at all. Not on starter to medium doses.

I was choking on liquids mostly but off and on. Good days, bad days. But, it seems to have improved now. Never really sought a cause. I figured I would seek out more help if it became a more consistent issue. I do have to drink liquids after each bite of food to get it completely down the ol pipe. I sure hope you can get that fixed!

So are these swallowing problems at the beginning where you physically control the muscles that make you swallow our are they the under controlled esophagus contractions? I don't have problems with what I can control but food gets stuck lower down where my esophagus makes the contractions

yeah sounds similar Lewis,doc said the scope they used showed the lower muscles were in a constant "spasm",as far as I know these are another thing that are controlled by the autonomic system.He said try the Myelopathy therapthy for a few months and come back for meds if no success.fingers crossed!

Yep--same issue for me before i had my fusion at c5-6 in 2002. This past year I've had some issues reappear, but so far not as bad as 12 years ago.