Are There Any Meds That Can Decrease Adrenalin Levels?

dkd

I haven't been diagnosed with high adrenaline, but I do get little surges--when the phone rings, when my hubby snores, etc. But I'm wondering is there anything that can be done about it anyway?? I'm thinking all the meds are like CNS depressants and I can't go around stoned all day-lol. So, I don't know if I should persue that avenue or not?

Anyone know of meds that don't make you feel out of it? I'm on a beta blocker which helps the high heart rate, but I sill have other 'anxiety' type symptoms, even though I don't have anxiety (the adrenaline surges, numbness and tingling on face, pressure in chest and throat). The only other med that I tried was Lexapro and it made my symptoms worse.

Thanks!

I hear you on the 'jumpiness' symptoms!

People that have true adrenaline surges from a pheo tumor are usually started on an alpha blocker, and then a beta blocker as needed. Maybe you could try one, or one of the alpha/beta combos? Might be worth asking your doctor about.

I take Xanax at night to sleep, as it is the ONLY way I sleep. I very rarely use it during the day, but if I have to go to something that is going to make me nervous, I take a tiny dose just to hold down the adrenaline. It works great and just puts a calmness over me.

• 3 weeks later...

I know how different we all are, but in my exerperience Lebetalol was used, actually I was on full dose at 2,400mg, when I was told I had a pheo. I'm convinced that it put me back years.. I took it for a year and that was the worst I have ever felt, based on pots symptoms, anyway.. I can personally use only a pure beta, Clonidine, or a calcium channel blocker (just not amlodipine).

I am extremely jumpy. It's that fight or flight response in us, I think. I get very easily started like yourself and Sue also. Gjenson mentioned clonidine, that has actually helped. It can make people feel tired, I know some use it for sleep, but it blocks norepinephrine, as it's somewhat thought of us in our pots world as an "adrenal suppressent" so to speak.

My son takes the extended release clonidine at night. It helps him sleep through the night. My son used to wake up drenched in sweat and it stopped this symptom. It is suppose to lower blood pressure but for my son it does not affect him that way at night. However, he cannot take it during the daytime or it will lower his blood pressures. My son is a teenager and his doctor thinks that his hormones are probably running wide open during the night time. My son also has high nophrinphine levels and this medication will help lower this. Clonidine might be worth a try if you are having trouble with hormones. The non extended release clonidine did not help son at all but this form is also available.