Back In The Saddle, Er, Office

jknh9

I got tons of helpful and sympathetic replies to a post I made last month after I attempted to go back to work full-time. I wanted to just post a quick update about what happened.

In the end, I couldn't do it. I explained my illness to the boss and she was not sympathetic and it was kind of a mutual decision for me to not work there. It was a fantastic job for me, but full-time hours and the high-energy, slightly stuffy office environment (with fluorescent lights) did not agree with my body one bit. I had taken the job in a different city, but I packed up and went home. Since my husband and I recently separated and I now have to financially support myself 100%, I didn't have much time to mope, so I started looking at possible part-time gigs I could do in conjunction with my part-time online work. As luck would have it, I got an interview pretty quickly and was offered an office job, 20 hours a week, 9-1 every day :) It's a very quiet office, just a small firm consisting of an attorney and me helping him out in the mornings. He doesn't like stressful cases and also doesn't want to overwhelm me with anything, so he's easing me into the work. It's a bit of a long commute, but I'm so excited to be able to work in an office, even part-time. I've been there for a week and a half and it's going great so far :) Getting up in the morning is difficult, but I don't start until 9, which is a godsend. And I know if I feel sick, I only have four hours and then I can go crash if I need to. Then in the evenings, I'm still doing online work. I seem to have found a good balance so far. Here's hoping it continues! I wish I could do a regular job, but it's just not realistic at this point given my energy limitations and symptoms. However, I feel so much more hopeful because I've had some degree of success with this so far. Here's to staying positive! This girl isn't giving up yet!

Good for you! Enjoy your new freedom but remember to balance work and down time.

Good for you. It sounds like you are choosing to take care of yourself. I applaud your courage. It is courage that I hear in your message and I wish I could be there to hand you a salty snack and a Gatorade when needed. You go girl!