Being Denied Disability

Racer

My doctor says I am temporarily disabled, to disabled to work, but they put down on the form that they predict my disability to last one day short of 12 months, just so I wont qualify for disability.

My health insurance has run out (again) and I haven't been to work in awhile. It seems my only option is to try to get a job, but if I don't get health insurance quick I will need to stop taking my meds because I cant afford them. I am going to start taking half my seizure med so it lasts longer. I already take minimum on other meds because I couldn't afford to take as often as needed.

I dont know how I can work, but I feel the only option I am given is get a job and pay my own way, or die. I feel so bad, they told me I needed to apply for disability, that I would qualify, to get the papers and they would fill them out. Then they turned around and changed there mind when I showed up with the paper work. Not only that but everyone treated me so bad, like all I am trying to do is take advantage of the system or something. The stress this is causing me I cant keep any food down

I am so sorry Racer. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, needing to cut down on meds for this reason. Is there anyone around you to try and help? Do you have a person you can trust and who can help you figure things out? The extra stress certainly makes things worse. I don't have any helpful words to share, am sending you my sympathy and good thoughts (knowing that this won't help you much either)

Are you in the US Racer? I know that many folks don't get Disabilty on their first try but are able to get it when they appeal. Also, some peeps are able to apply to the pharmaceutical companies for special circumstances and get the medicine at a much lower price. I was able to get an antidepressant many many many (did I say many?) moons ago for 10 bucks a month and it was a new one at the time and very costly. Thinking of you.

Hi Racer,

This sounds like a job for a lawyer but I know that can be expensive too. I would encourage you to find a different team of doctor and try again with the disability. Someone should be able to help you get this done maybe a close friend or family member.

So Sorry Racer! Sometimes because the docs are so overloaded, they don't want to take on the paperwork that a disability case requires. That could be why they back peddled on you. In the USA, most successful disabilities claims require a lawyer to get you through the process and even then hardly anyone gets approved on the first go. You will though get retro payment from initiation of the process, once approved. If it was me I would start your SSDI claim as soon as possible, as you have to apply within a certain amount of time of the disability. In other words there is a stale date for applying. I did not know that and I missed my window to apply. My diagnostics would qualify now for ssdi, but as I missed my window, I would have to go back and earn another 40 credits before applying again. So obviously, if I could do that I wouldn't need ssdi to begin with. I am dependent on my husband, who I am so grateful to have, and who married me even though he knew I had health problems.

I agree that's a good tip to call the manufacturer of your meds, and see if they can give you humanitarian assistance. Also if your insurance has run out and you are not able to work, in the USA you can qualify for access insurance from the gov/state. I had to apply for it in the beginning, in az it was called Patient's Choice at the time. It is not like ACA insurance where there is a window you have to apply in. State Access insurance can be applied for at any time.

I know it's hard and the fight is tiring, but don't give up! You paid into you're SSDI and that is you're money not the governments, you earned it and it went into to the pool, to be used by people just like you. Please talk to an attorney that specializes in this before going back to work, as that could mess the process up. If you are sick you are not trying to take advantage of anything, you are just trying to survive. If you get better you can always get off SSDI and go back to work.

thanks for the suggestions.

I think I qualify for medicaid, but only if I dont work because they consider me disabled. That would pay for basic meds, but the problem is I need to be able to buy basic necessities also. I am sure I can eventually get disability, but I am not sure what to do till then. My parents do provide me with a little help and sometimes food (and a room!)but I also need to pay 200 per month in bills and at least 100 a month in medical supplies that wouldnt not be covered under medicaid. My parents cant afford to help me with all that.

I am just looking to get the minimum I need to survive.

looneymom, I see a dr at the cleveland clinic along with some great doctors at a different hospital. This was my local internal medicine dr. I need to find a new one

Thanks everyone for your replies

I'm in the same boat... Currently waiting on a hearing, which can take over a year according to my lawyer. I'm blessed that I right now, get food stamps and Medicaid, but for basic needs like deodorant, shampoo, the occasional "The Big Bang Theory" DVD set (because I need laughter and something to occupy my time, and I can sit there and watch these over and over), it's been a struggle. I pay a series of bills online for dad who's never figured out how to do it, so if the bill is $86, he will give me $100. He's been paying my phone bill which is only $50 a month because I told him if he wanted to communicate with me, this would be the way (I live with friends, and while they have a home phone, she works from home and has business calls during the day on that line, if he wanted anytime communication with me, a cell would be needed). I've learned to do without a lot, and to cut majorly down on stuff, but I'm blessed that on the times I need ensures, and don't have money for them, my friends pay for them. We go out to lunch every Sunday with a another couple of friends, and lately, I've been given my card back, and they've covered my lunch.

I'm a girl who's struggled for everything she's ever owned or done, and to have friends just give and help me, is new. It makes me feel horrible sometimes because I can't do anything for them in return, and they don't want anything in return (we've had this argument a lot lately). It's new territory for me.

Ohio has a state disability thing as well, that I've applied for. It's different from the federal ssi, and they would provide $100 a month for things like bills, needs, etc. been waiting on that for about a year, hoping to hear something soon on it, but that would certainly help me until hopefully my disability gets approved. Thank goodness for it being retroactive to when I first filed, that bulk amount would certainly be very helpful at the moment, but right now, the waiting is the hardest.