Mottled Skin On Legs = Venous Pooling = Neuropathic Pots ?

Goschi

I have asked the question above to some docs - and got a kind of "maybe" answer. To be honest, I am not really satisfied.

I guess, mottled skin on my limbs should definitely mean "something" - and if it is a sign of blood pooling, this again should lead "somewhere" in terms of diagnosis. Can't believe that I really "want to know too much", as one of my docs let me feel....

Mine looks like corned beef! It's worse on thighs, upper arms and breasts. I then get reddening on my torso and chest/neck as day progresses. I'm guessing pooling and the blood vessels expanding with fatigue. I may be wrong. Once when I was able to walk more I went to London and walked a lot when I got home 12hrs later my knee area had swollen up dramatically and there were very blotchy with raised welts. As soon as I lay down they started to disappear. Very odd.

No, you're not wrong to be curious and some doctors don't know the answer...well, many don't!

This is a link to Dr. Raj's POTS article where he brings up the the subject of mottled looking legs and its relevancy to POTS.

http://www.ipej.org/0602/raj.htm

I get the mottled red/white purple legs/arms too unless limbs are up. I like the corned beef description!

I do think though, that I've read other people on the forum with hyperadrenergic POTs saying they too have blood pooling and so not sure that it's related to type.

In the UK doctors don't seem to talk about type, in my own experience.

I have a worsening problem with dependent red/purple mottling to hands and lower extremities ( bottoms of feet as well ) and up until two months ago I thought I had a hyperpots diagnosis as I have significant orthostatic hypertension and had a standing NE level of nearly 3000. Because of my inability to attend a final neuro appointment though back in 2011 I misunderstood what my findings represented. In any event I finally returned for follow up appointments and found I actually have a diagnosis of neuropathic pots with a hyperadrenergic component as well as other diagnoses. Pots sub typing is not as straight forward as some believe. How many neuropathic pots patients end up on clonidine and mestinon. I believe Vanderbilt recognizes that many pots patients have combinations of more then one sub type. In regards to the reason for and mechanisms behind dependent discoloration I don't think there is a clear cut answer on that one as yet.

Janet