Does Bad Reaction To Ssri Happens Right Away?

Gemma

Hi everyone. I started zoloft 7 days ago. First 2 days spaced out, then felt really well and my POTS symptoms were less. However on the 7th day very severe lightheadness started, dizzeness, near fainting episodes, fear, anxiety, almost panic attacks.

Is this a reaction to the med? Will it pass? Or can it get worse? I had similar symptoms while on xanax, but after I went off xanax my lightheadness started going away. For the past month, I didnt have lightheadness at all.

Please help, i dont know if I should continue with the med.

Thank you.

Gemma, with all of that, I would start questioning if it was the right medicine for me. You would know better than anyone though.

I would say to contact the doctor that prescribed it to you, and tell them the trouble that you are having.

You may want to read prior posts on the forum about SSRIs. Sometimes the adjustment can take several weeks. This is also true with lots of other medications for POTS. I would talk to the doctor (or pharmacist), but it is likely too early to tell if this is the right med for you. POTS has lots of ups and downs so your symptoms could be from POTS itself or the new medication, again it is hard to tell.

Some people here have had better luck (and fewer side effects) starting with a baby dose and working their way up, another option to discuss with your doctor.

I am glad you are monitoring yourself re symptoms, feelings, etc.. I , unfortunately, do not do well on SSRI's as they make me manic. I felt like a wound up toy. But, others have certainly done well with them. Please keep tabs and communicate with your doc. I believe Zoloft also needs to be tapered down if you and your doc decide to discontinue that although 7 days is not very long. We are such sensitive souls! God Bless.