Effects Of Pets On Your Illness?

Hey, everyone! I was wondering if any of you had noticed that your pets helped you get through your illness better. I know a lot of people with ME/CFS have seen that pets helped them, and I was wondering if they did anything for POTS as well, even psychologically. Do you feel calmed by your pet? Does your pet encourage you to get more exercise? Have you had difficulty caring for your pet through your illness? Thanks everyone!

I do really love my two cats so much - and they are very helpful... Cuddling next to me when I have to lay down. On the other hand, I feel ashamed very often, as I can't play and run around with them as I used to do prior to my pots. Sometimes it really breaks my heart, cause they don't understand and I can't explain... :-((

I never thought I would have an animal living in our home but one of our outdoor cats died. She left us with a 4 week old kitten in the dead of the winter. My oldest son found it and so we decided to keep him. He has brought alot of smiles and laughter into our home. My family needed this and we have all grown very attached to our Midnight. A pet has been very helpful to have in our home and seems to help with the extra stress levels.

Yes! I have a 15 mos Mastiff that we got a few months ago and she has been a godsend. She just had her first training class today and did very well. The woman said she would make an excellent Therapy dog which gives me hope that maybe she and I can volunteer when I am feeling a bit more stable (ergo the hope factor). She doesn't need much exercise at all being a large breed puffalump but she is needy in regard to attention and wiping the drool from her mouth everytime she drinks water. Ha! My hubby gives her breakfast so that is helpful in my need for sleep. She does make me laugh and that is healing and to be honest,....when I feel REALLY down, I know I need to stick around for her. So, yes, yes and yes! I would recommend kitties too! Like Looneymom and Goschi said, a snuggle is worth alot and I do believe they can lower our stress levels.

I am an old man, so it takes a bit to affect me. My boys are all I need.

I do have a long term hobby of breeding poultry. After all these years, I still get a kick out of a box of spring chicks. Who knows why, but the peep peep and the little cute fuzzy things . . . . . plus for me it is hope renewed. I have goals and try to make improvements from generation to generation. There is a bit of hope to move towards perfection every year.

Also, I bought a puppy earlier in the year. I am sick, of course. Then my wife got sick for a little bit. I figured they could use a pick me up. My wife and boys fell in love with the puppy, and she lightened the mood around the house. They still (and I ) enjoy her.

I think the right pet for the right person is an excellent idea. I also think the wrong pet for the wrong person would be a bad idea.

It is hard to beat a little puppy or kitten for a few smiles though.

My nieces have been taking care of my doxie Gretchen and my cat Wookie since I moved out nearly a year ago, to be the housekeeper to some friends I knew from church. What was supposed to be a starting over time for me, ended up being the diagnosis of my condition, and my friends have been taking care of me ever since. They have two large mix-breed dogs, Emma and Trixie. Trix has definitely been a godsend for me... this dog knows when I feel decent, knows when I feel bad, knows when to alert someone if I'm sick and can't do it myself. She sits on my bed, always touching some part of me, and when I have seizures, she's extremely protective of me. She tore the screens on the back porch trying to get to me one time when the ambulance had to come for me once.

Something funny with her is she knows, sometimes before I do apparently, that I shouldn't be standing sometimes. There's been a few times I'll stand in the kitchen to reach something in the spice cabinet, or from the fridge, and she literally jumps up and makes me sit. I try to tell her I'm okay, but she stays super close.

Emma is more subdued, as she's a bit older than Trix and has issues getting around with arthritis, but she makes me laugh too. She's chased me around the kitchen one time when I was making sausage balls, vacumming up anything that came out of the bowl, and every time I make them, or heat them up, she's right there begging. She knows I'm a sucker and will sneak her bites of things.

I also have fish... Now, it sounds crazy, but I love my fish... The light from the tank is perfect when I'm super triggered, and they are relaxing to me to sit and watch when I feel bad. They were awesome at Christmas time, when my family was being very loud and I was tired, I would sneak to my room and just sit in front of the tank.

I can't wait until I can have my Gretchen and Wookie with me in my own place, but until that happens, Emma and Trixie are the bees knees for me.

I have a cat that's kind of a like a dog in that she greets us at the door and growls at the UPS truck. She really lightens the mood when things get tense or sad around here. She likes to push my husband's buttons when he's not paying attention to her, I hear him saying "staaaaahp!" in the other room and it makes me laugh.

I do really love my two cats so much - and they are very helpful... Cuddling next to me when I have to lay down. On the other hand, I feel ashamed very often, as I can't play and run around with them as I used to do prior to my pots. Sometimes it really breaks my heart, cause they don't understand and I can't explain... :-((

I feel the same way! My kitty and I used to have a play session every morning. :( But, animals are pretty good at adapting and it's good your cats have each other to play with.

I'm actually scared of cats. Its because we had this beautiful looking part Persian when I was a young girl. He used to chase me through the house nipping at my heels (I could handle that) but he also used to lie in wait on top of a cupboard or a fridge and pounce on my shoulder (that really used to freak me out). He didn't do it all the time. Looking back I swear he picked his moments. Those times when I'd forgotten about him he'd suddenly leap out at me from some hiding place. Scarred me for life when it comes to cats. the rest of my family adored him and one day he went missing and was never seen again. I did not miss him but the rest of my family did.

Dogs I'm very comfortable with. They like me. When our last dog had to be put down because she was very ill (about 12 years ago) I was also just starting to get very ill. She used to lie on my feet all the time. And lie next to me when I couldn't get off the couch or bed. Yep, I allowed her to get on my bed. She was the greatest comfort. And when we had to have her put down I really think the emotional toll it took on me made my pots even worse.

I have considered many many times getting another dog. At the moment its not possible. We live on the second floor and although in the old days that wouldn't have stopped me having the right sort of dog for apartment living, I don't have enough days when I have the stamina to walk a dog regularly a few times a day. During the past 12 years there have been times when I've been well enough to get a dog and commit to looking after it but I'm so relieved I did not as I'm really struggling healthwise now.

When we move back into a house I will however rethink this. They can be long and lonely days, somedays. And I find a dog to be a great friend. No judgements, lots of affection, always happy to see you, as it goes. Leave the house for 5 minutes and come back and be greeted like I've been gone for a year. LOL.

blue

I had guinea pigs from 1987-1999 and they were house pets. I loved having them around and looking after them. I didn't have a dog or cat as I was in flats from 1987-1997 and they were prohibited. I am now in a house and would love a small/medium dog, but cannot take it for walks because my walking isn't very good. I see so many rescue dogs and would love to be able to look after one. They do make a difference.

We have three dogs, german shepherd/doberman mix, jack russell terrior, and a rat terrior(my daughter saved the two terriors when their owner was dieing of cancer). The german shepherd/doberman won't leave my son's side when he feels his worst. The rat terrior lays on his lap when he is gaming or takes naps with him during the day. The jack russell doesn't give a hoot...he only wants to play fetch. They keep him company and give him comfort. I couldn't imagine my son going through this without our dogs.

Christy

I have a three legged boxer I saved 9 years ago doing my animal wildlife resue work in sc.I became so ill had to give it up.I hung on to max as I call him, and my adopted autistic daughter who is 19 now got her at 9 months old.in the beginning, I might have been saving them but now my faithful boxer max, and beatuiful daughter save me.My max whatches over me and my daughter when I need to be resting and on my bad days he knows I need her whatched over, and he sticks close to her.And on nights which are everynight that I am awakened by my illness he gets up with me.he won't move in morning's unless I get up.

Hi Tammy Kay,

I've heard it said that the rescued animals are the best. They really appreciate their new life. Having experienced often terrible conditons before rescue.

And Kitt,

Thanks for posting the links to the dog. I came over a little weepy when I saw it. And I'm not a weeper believe me. A story with a really good ending.

Makes me want a dog again right now. But I have to wait until I'm in a house again so I can cope with the responsibilities of being a dog owner.

blue

Blue,

One of the things I found most interesting about this dog and the Vimeo is that the owner has an exceptionally calm and gentle nature while the dog has a very big personality.

It makes me feel or realize that the world works in interesting ways and that often or hopefully miracles do happen. In this case it did and her calm gentle soul came to find this amazingly energetic dog.

I've found this to be true too often to be a coincidence with animals. There seems to be a match for every kind of dog.

The ones that seem impossible to adopt and find a forever home for when I was a foster parent was frustrating... I'd think 'Oh, this is never going to happen.' Days after weekends and month after month waiting in a adoption facility I'd feel it would never come to be and pack the dog up to go home for another week and then and often at the very end of the day the precise right 'mom' would come in and speak to me. Somehow it was usually the 'mom' alone that would come to look and see before bringing the family...Ironically, I'd always know when she she spoke to me. So odd how it worked out. Each and every time and dog after dog. Usually it was the dogs with emotional issues who were harder to adopt than the ones with physical problems.

But I loved this girls calm energy for this dog and I see why they're the perfect match. He may have four prosthetic legs but he has a very healthy disposition. A beautiful story.

Agree, rescued dogs know they're rescued, and they never forget 'who' rescued them. They tend to favor the precise family member who did and they are very grateful!

Best,

K