Juiceing

Alison

Does anyone juice, and if you do what juicer do you have?

I've been on a healthy eating diet for three weeks now, which has included veggie smoothies made in a normal blender. I'm continuing to feel lightheaded after meals, even more lightheaded than before actually. I'm now thinking of getting a mastigating juicer as I've been told that the juice from these is easier to digest. They are so expensive! The one I've seen is £500 (don't know the price in $).

I've been trying not to lose weight with my new diet as I don't need to, and I think as a consequence I've been overeating, which is why I've been feeling more lightheaded. I was also thinking of trying more blended soups as I think the veggies in a soup are more easily diegested? But maybe have less nutrients? I wish I had a guru to guide me on this journey.

I bought a juicer a few years ago. It was such a pain to clean and there was so much wasted goodness in the pulp left over that I eventually gave up.

A few months ago I bought a Nutribullet. I absolutely LOVE it. Super easy to clean, no waste whatsoever. I use it every day to get my greens, etc down me. I can throw in some nuts for protein and they're completely emulsified, no gritty bits. I have next to no appetite these days, but I can manage my Nutribullet smoothies no problem.

I used my blender for a long time. I also didn't like my juicer. My parents got a Nutribullet as gift and didn't take it out of the box. I started using it and it works very well.

The clean up is very easy. I agree with Merlin.

I always add iodized salt to my "smoothies" and honestly they taste disgusting because I rarely use fruit. I use beets roots and greens, avacado, flax seed, spinich, watercress- you get the idea. :). Yucky!

I'm careful not to overdo it. I know veggies like kale in excess are bad for your thyroid. I also use berries.

I do soups and add additional oysters and clams. Recently I've been also adding seaweed to my soups. YUCK,

I have to say the more disgusting my food is, the better I feel. I'm over 40 and went for a haircut today. I was surprised when 2 people commented on how beautiful my skin is. I really think it's all of the extra veggies.

My tip on drinking a veggie juice is to used a straw. It's easier somehow when it tastes so bad.

Now I realise that juicing is spelt juicing, not juiceing - it didn't look right when I typed it.

I hadn't heard of the nutribullet, I've done a quick google on it. The thing I'd read about the masticating juicer is that the process preserves more of the nutrients. Don't know if it is true.

Thanks for the straw tip. I'm starting to get used to eating not particuarly appetising looking meals, but they don't seem too bad once I get started on them.

I had wondered about the nutribullet, I had almost bought one a few months ago I hopes that I could create a few things that would be easier for me to tolerate, but then heard how they broke easily. How have y'all's handled everything?

With me having issues with solid food lately, I like smoothies and such, but haven't quite gotten to the vegetable state with them, lol. My favorite is a pineapple mango and strawberry smoothie made with orange juice, a little milk, some honey, and yogurt. It makes a double, so I freeze what is extra and eat it like sorbet later.

I also very much dislike my masticating juicer and would not recommend getting one. It works great... But they are a mess to clean up and you are left with a huge amount of pulp. Even if you add some of it back in to your drink, it's not blended at all and difficult to get down. Just the other day I was telling my husband, I wish we would have bought a blendtec years ago instead of the juicer we have. I too got reeled in with the claims that the slower juicers were better. Well if I don't use it, then I'm getting no nutrients. :P Cleaning out a single blender container is much easier than having to thoroughly clean out the entire plastic housing of the juicer, the auger and juice and pulp containers.

I can't say anything about the quality of the Nutribullet because I've only been using it for 2 weeks. My old oyster blender held up well. Both go into the dishwasher (I rinse the blades in the sink).

The juicer I had was a hot mess to clean. I actually gave it to a friend. One tip for what it's worth- I look for things with fewer pieces. My blender had 2 pieces. The Nutribullet is the same.

I also think it's important to not over do juicing. You could accidently raise your potassium- I add salt for this reason. I also would juice more veggies than realistically a human could eat in a day.

Yes I do think I feel better. Also nutrition is something I can control. I think minerals are important for me. I wouldn't eat Beet tops but I can drink them ;)

We have a VitaMix and it works well for making veggie 'Smoothies'. That's what the bullet does for a lot less money...Makes smoothies and other 'stuff'.

Juicing is very different.

This is difficult to explain, but most of what's in those great smoothies with kale, spinach, berries etc...is FiBER.

With juicing you only get the 'good stuff, no fiber to fill up on....Veggies and fruit are literally 'juiced' and only the pulp remains and tossed in the garbage.

People are using juicing to loose weight with juicing cleanses and also for health reasons. (People loose a TON of weight drinking nothing but 'real' fresh JUICED veggies and some fruit.)

Not my purpose, but...

A new shop near us opened recently selling 32 ounces of freshly 'juiced' juice at 20.00 for a 32 oz jar. (That's almost 4 8 oz servings) Made fresh daily with a variety of veggies and a little fruit, or no fruit. "Custom" juice is the same price if you buy 2 20.00 jars.

My husband and I both make a trip there every Sat and buy 2 jars each. It's pricey at 20.00 per jar but so worth it.

If you have a HIGH IGE, be careful of juicing fresh ginger. I ended up in the ER, and found an article about high IGE and fresh ginger allergies. Who knew?

Good luck with juicing, (I think it's VERY worth it!)

K

I read an article that while we're taking the fiber out, our body still needs some sort of fiber, as it helps keep the blood sugar regulated? Something like that... I'll have to hunt it down.

I could live off of fruit and some veggies. I love salads, but they don't love me, lol. I do eat chicken, and this last week, I made some italian grilled pork chops (I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen, but most of what I cook, I can't eat lately). I don't get a whole ton of protein in my diet because I have issues eating it lately, but fruit and veggies, we're good.

Another interesting fact about ginger, thanks KJay,

American diets are high in calories and low in nutrients. While fiber is important, juicing is not about getting fiber.

If you're really interested in learning about juicing, watch the documentary called, "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" Think it's still available via Instant streaming on Netflix.

There's no better way to deliver nutrients to the body than juicing. You'd have to eat pounds and pounds of kale, beets and veggies to get the nutrients that can be juiced and consumed easily.

Doing it yourself is optimal but it's a big mess as anyone who's tried it can attest to.

Good luck with this, it's an amazing option in many cities that offer freshly juiced veggies.

K

KJay, I don't worry about iodine much because I don't have a thyroid gland. (I developed Hashimoto's Disease in my twenties. An autoimmune thyroid disease).

But iodine is important for thyroid health. (That's why iodine is added to table salt.) I take organic sea salt and put it in gel capsules, and use that for pots.

It is an amazing documentary. Joe now does one week juicing 'bootcamps' that look pretty cool. Juicing has literally saved lives, which the documentary shows.

Found this to be especially interesting on the subject of juicing! Watch it before you 'think' you know.

People are juicing canibis leaves and buds. It seems cannibus is only psychotropic only when it's heated, but the amount of medical benefits from 'raw' unheated cannibis is compelling. Google 'juicing pots' to see more. I was originally trying to research juicing and the kind of pots we have, but what I found does perhaps pertain to us. If I lived in a state where medical m. were available I'd definitely try this.

I've been juicing for a while. I got the juicer from a friend who didn't use it. So the price was right.LOL At first I started with just the juice but then started adding in the pulp since I didn't want to waste it plus there's a lot of fiber in there.

I had a processor myself so now I justice and then take the pulp and put it in the processor to get it really pulverized. Then add it to the juice. I sometimes add tomato juice to make it thinner and easier to drink.

I mostly make Kale Smoothies I guess you would call it. I use 3 cucumbers, a bunch of Kale about 4 stalks of celery 4 carrots, and then sometimes add apples if I want it sweeter, garlic if I want it saltier. I Haven't felt a huge difference in my health. But You've got to do more than drink a glass of juice a day .LOL

I have noticed small differences though. For one,It has been getting me off carbs and processed foods. I was addicted to carbs and all because I have hypoglycemia and if you don't eat right you just keep craving carbs. I didn't even like to eat anything else. So I was really addicted. Now I feel myself liking real food more and more. I have been eating more vegetables with my meals. And enjoying them. And at night I'm not going crazy eating carbs. I can go for a sweet potato for a late night snack instead. Tonight I had a strawberry/yogurt smoothie. Very yummy. I still rely on Splenda for the moment but I'm lessing the amount little by little.

Also it has been keeping me much more regular which is important cause it helps my GI problems.
So little changes are adding up over time. I do feel that's the way to do it. Because if I went on a juice fast like some people do I'd probably make myself sick.

If you're just juicing , meaning not adding the pulp here's a recipe I like. It tastes pretty good being that it is filled with Kale. LOL

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-green-juice/

Oh and yeah making it and cleaning the machine is the hardest part. But I do it for about 4 days at a time. and keep it in a pitcher in my fridge. It makes it a little easier. I also keep a pad on the side of my kitchen sink. So If I'm not feeling up to cleaning everything right after juicing, I'll rinse everything and put it there . Then go back at a later time and clean it with soap.

Someone here said something about ginger lowering your BP so i'd be careful with that.

I saw a nutribullet on sale for $99 tonight at the store. Seriously thinking of asking dad to help get if it might help get some healthier stuff in me. I love this post, it's been so informational!

I have now ordered a juicer, I went for the Matstone as it was the only one that said it was easy to take apart and clean (10 minutes). It's not the top of the range one, so not as expensive as others. I looked at the nutri bullet, but I think this makes smoothies not juices - I don't think it removes the fibre. The thing is I've been making smoothies in my blender and feeling more lightheaded - I presume because all the extra fibre is hard to digest.

I love juicing. I really do think that removing the fiber gives your body the chance to absorb nutrients it wouldn't otherwise be able to squeeze out of the veggies. Before I did my first juice fast, I read to not be surprised if, around day 5 of the fast, old injuries started to ache - that by then your body had more energy and resources to deal with lingering issues that it otherwise couldn't address. I thought it was BS. Until it happened to me. I can't say for sure that things were 'healing', but something was definitely happening.

Despite some issues with lightheadedness, I've had nothing but good experiences. I just feel good whenever I juice and juice fast.

I have an omega vert 350 HD. It's an upright centrifugal masticating juicer. The traditional centrifugal juicers use centrifugal force to whip the juice out of the fruits and veggies. The problem there is that they whip oxygen into the juice, which give you a low quality juice that goes bad within 24 hours (at most). Not awful if you plan on drinking the juice right away, and generally easier to clean than masticating juicers, so they definitely work for some people. It's the kind the guy in Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead uses.

The masticating juicers use pressure to squeeze the juice out of the fruits and veggies. It cuts down the amount of oxygen that gets mixed in by A LOT, so your juices can last up to 72 hours (though the sooner you drink it the better!). The quality of the juice tends to be better than the centrifugal - more concentrated, less likely to separate. But in general, they're pains to clean and take up a lot of space on the counter top.

The upright centrifugal masticating juicers are, in my opinion, the best of both worlds. There's a bit of centrifugal action going on (around 40rpm, versus like 8,000rpm), that helps with the clean up, a smaller footprint on the counter, and the high quality juice that comes with a masticating juicer. The downside when compared to the tradition masticating juicer is that it doesn't do as great a job with leafy greens (spinach, kale, don't even try wheat grass). The downside when compared to the centrifugal is the price. Centrifugals can go for as little as 60 dollars, where as I paid $300 for mine, on sale.

The golden rule of juicing is 80/20 veggies/fruit to make sure your not downing massive amounts of sugar. The one real exception to that is to remember that carrots are very high in sugar, so it's probably better to consider them fruits. When you're first getting used to juicing, if a drink is unappetizing try juicing in a quarter/half of a lemon or a few slices of apple (preferably green). That should cut the bitterness or add enough sweetness to make it palatable.

I also have a vitamix, which I love for smoothies. Nutribullet doesn't chop things up nearly as well (if you search youtube for vitamix nutribullet comparison, you'll find a video comparison of how well they both work, how finely they chop etc) and if the point of the smoothie is to manually digest the veggies/fruits as well as possible before you drink them, to encourage maximum absorption, that's something to consider. Vitamix.com sells refurbished models for a great discount. That's how I bought mine.

This website is a great resource for juicer and blender comparisons. He sells a lot of great stuff, but if you look on the left of the page, down at the bottom of the link menu you'll see an Education section. So useful. The guy who runs it makes youtube videos that are great. He's the one who does the comparison between the vitamix and the nutribullet. He'll demonstrate and compare basically everything out there, and give you tips on how to use them. He has some great videos on how to clean the juicers too - I can clean mine in less than 5 minutes, thanks to his tips. Easy Peasy.

As to recipes, most of the time I just throw in whatever veggies or fruits I have lying around. If I'm juice fasting, I like to have something sweet in the morning, so those will usually include grapes and blueberries and apples, along with a cucumber and some celery and dark leafy greens. I'll start replacing the fruits with more veggies as the day goes on, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, kale, beets. Parsley give a fresh flavor, if you're looking for something a bit different. So does basil.

One of my favorite drinks (even if it does totally violate the 80/20 rule) is watermelon, blueberries and grapes - heavy on the watermelon. It's delicious and SO refreshing.

I also really like a 25/75 split of carrot and celery juice. Celery has a bit of a bite to it when it's juiced and the carrot just mellows it out. Love it.

Finally, my 'dinner' when I'm fasting is one of my favorite drinks.

• 2 Tomatoes
  • 1-2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
  • 1/4 White Onion
  • 1 Cucumber (peeled if not organic)
  • 1/2 Jalapeno
  • 1/4 Lemon Peeled
  • Salt (I use Herbamare) to taste

It's like a virgin bloody mary. But so much better because it's freshly juiced. The salt was absolutely necessary, both for flavor and POTS reasons. So good.

ETA: There are a lot of things you can do with you left over pulp, too! Muffins, add it to tomato sauces to thicken it - my favorite is dog biscuits (just make sure there's no grapes, onions or garlic in the pulp). My dogs go nuts for them. The pulp, plus a bit of peanut butter and some oatmeal. Bake for 45 minutes and I've got some happy puppies.