Probiotics

gertie

Are probiotics usually ok for us? Sometimes I can eat yogurt without a problem & at other times it makes my throat & tongue burn. It may be because it is a high histamine food. I am trying a small dose of probiotic but I seem to be getting more mouth/tongue burning from it also. I hate to be so pessimistic but I'm always afraid to try anything new. Thanks for your reply.

Are you taking a capsule? If so, you might be able to mix it up in some jucice. However, it really sounds like you are having some type of allergic reaction. May I ask what you are taking? My son takes Ultimate Flora 30 billion and it is a delayed release. It can be taken with food.My son takes his before bedtime with grape juice.

There are different fillers and also different combinations of microflora used in probiotics. If you think you are having an allergic reaction to some, you may try ones with different microflora until you find one that works for you. Most places take returns these days although I would check on return policies before purchasing. A lot of homeopathic or naturopathic pharmacies stock probiotics that are free of additives and fillers as well as all of the usual "allergy" suspects. But, if you have mcas you might be having an odd reaction to it.

I would agree with gjensen.

I run any, new suspected allergy by my allergist before she gives me the nod to go ahead and try it or tells me to stay away from it. (Sometimes, it can be more complex. ie. I'm due to go into the hospital soon for just a day to be tested for an allergic response to a laxative -- it means spending the day in hospital, having a canula put in my hand so that they are ready to deal with an allergic reaction if I have one, and being fed capsules of the stuff (never knowing which capsule contains the laxative) over a period of hours under the supervision of a nurse. A Boring and anxiety producing day, but effective.

blue.

Thanks for all your replies. It took me a long time deciding which probiotic to try. I chose strains that degrade histamine or that are neutral. I took a small amount today & so far ok. I do eat sauerkraut occ altho it is not supposed to be good for those of us with hypothyroid.

looneymom, I have allergen free Pure Encapsulations. The only additive is rice starch & it is vegetarian capsule but I take it out of capsule & sprinkle on food.

Katybug, I haven't been tested for mcas but I did have a bad reaction to histamine during allergy testing.