Burning Arms And Feet

docradmd

Just lost a post before I hit 'post.' But yes, I get burning skin sensations. My face, upperchest and neck, arms, legs, feet, mouth. Not all places at once thank god but it's usually bilateral. For me, Triggers are natural chemicals occurring in foods -- amines, salicylates and glutamates. Also have a problem with artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives. (But want to mention that avoidance of the foods that contain these things Which really helped me control this burning response for some years in the beginning, has now seen me become more strongly reactive to them so I sort of regret ever limiting my diet as I was advised to at the beginning). Plus medicines can be a problem, often due to flavouring or colour or the medicine itself or one of the incipient ingredients in the medicine. Lately though this burning sensation is occurring more often, as is the sunburnt look that often, but not always, accompanies it. It's got to a point where I can't always pinpoint what triggers it. I do know that stress will do so and lately (past year or so) I've been extremely stressed -- health fears, father dying, problems with one of my kids -- and perhaps that's what is making my skin react so badly.

These are my things that cause the reaction but could be some different reason for someone else.

I've had no real great success with antihistamines (Hi and H2) and they make my constipation worse so decided for the time not to take them. But many people do have success, from what I've read. I've also have no success with singulair and sodium cromolglycate (both caused severe level migraine -- chronic migraine is another of my problems). Oral cortisone will take the burning, and skin redness away but only for about 4-5 hours at a time. Although it is highly effective when I have an 'true' allergic response.

I've been told it's histamine release (I think due IGg response) -- my nerve endings in my skin read that response as sunburn feeling, the burning, and often sunburnt look in places.

I do have 'true' allergies - IGe ? -- anaphylactic response to aspirin, and less severe allergic reactions to other meds (rashes, some slight facial swelling). I have had an anaphylactoid reaction to god-knows-what.

I also have different types of urticaria, one of which is pressure urticarial which causes red blotches where the pressure has been applied and that red blotch is hotter than the rest of my skin until it eventually fades.

An immunologist/allergist helps me get through this stuff -- I see her once or twice a year and we also correspond by email. She's a godsend doctor for me.

Hope this isn't TMI

blue.

I have reactions similar to blue's, though not quite so many dietary triggers. I've been told it is probably MCAS, antihistamines, singulair and chromolyn sodium do help me some with the wide spread flushing of face and chest (usually bilateral but sometimes just on right). I'm not sure of their value for my main current complaints, however, because it has been over a year since I last tried going off of them.

Your post was timely for me, because I was just about to post about burning pain in the extremities, I believe associated with norepinephrine surges. This pain is particularly bad if I am awakened at the wrong time in my morning sleep cycle, when repeated electrical shocks of adrenal surges bring on excruciating burning/aching pain (possibly vasoconstrictive) in my hands and feet, along with BP and HR spikes, nausea, etc. The pain usually subsides a bit if hyperhydrosis sets in. I can also get some relief by exercising hard enough to sweat for even a few minutes, although this last is a challenge when my BP and heartrate are fluctuating and because of EDS injuries. The adrenal surges and corresponding vaso motor changes & pain in my hands and feet are also triggered by being upright and still, and by stress, but not usually by diet. Of late these have been accompanied by labile but potentially dangerous hypertension.

I'm currently trying low dose naltrexone, but my dose is too low to know if it does much good. Clonidine is next on my list if I can find a doctor I trust to oversee it; I read somewhere that it is not compatible with LDN. I'd welcome other thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks and good luck, KDS

Just realized it has been over a year since I had posted and that my signature was out if date. I have been more thoroughly diagnosed in the past 18 months, and for a while seemed to be improving with exercise. But things have been getting bad again this winter.

I do. Sometimes it is more of a cold burning on the skin of my left arm. I have had burning on the skin of my legs below my knees when walking. Sometimes it is in spots, other times it is my entire calf and/or shin after I have been sitting for a while. Last night I was jogging in a short sleeved shirt, and the cold made the skin on my arms burn and turn bright red.