Electrolyte Drinks - Advice Please

Rima1

Do people here drink these instead of water (just been advised to do this)? Can you drink too much of them? I've had a look at a few online and most seem to contain a lot of flavourings etc. Are there any that are 'healthy'? What is it in the drinks we actually need? Does the sugar content need to be there?

Many thanks

C

I try to drink 20 ounces of Gatorade a day in between all the water I've been drinking, mostly just because I need a break from water, something with flavor. Right now my favorite flavor is fruit punch + berry. I also add fruit to water when I can to flavor it up a bit too.

I think probably salt is the main reason we need electrolyte drinks. I make homemade versions. Just water down juice and add salt. Or I've actually been using low calorie lemonade from trader joes recently - it's sweetened mostly with stevia and the only other "addictive" is carrot juice coloring, and it has much less sugar than juice. My current recipe is: 5 teaspoons of salt in 64 ounces lemonade. I mix 8 ounces of that with 12 ounces of water and that's the first thing I drink every morning. If you start drinking this stuff every day you'll get used to the salt and can add more and more. If you wanted potassium as well, you can buy Morton salt substitute at the grocery store - it has a lot of potassium chloride in it.

I do a lot of Gatorade, and don't really worry about the sugar or calories, because I'm having enough trouble keeping on weight as it is without purposefully using stuff marketed toward those TRYING to lose weight. I'm assuming it's the added salt content that's important, as well as making it more convenient and tasty to get enough water.

I'm in the UK and I'm not sure we can easily get Gatorade here. Personally I've never seen it. I use Nunn tablets, rehydration tablets enhanced with electrolytes, and find them helpful. You can get them from cycling shops etc. Again, these are not cheap. I've been ordering them from Amazon and getting them cheaper than in shops.

I just bought this all natural stuff from Whole Foods called Replenish and it comes in different flavors, I liked the Red raspberry best. It was super expensive though!

I have to correct this, it is actually called Ultima Replenisher!

I drink broth for sodium -- much healthier than the sugar load of most sports drinks and way more sodium.

I use Edward and Sons bouillon cubes. I'm not vegan, I just like them. 1.5 cubes (3 servings) heated up in a pint of water. It's quite the hit of sodium and helps me hang on to the liter of fluid I drink along with it.

If I had it my way, I'd be making stock from left over animal bones and the like, but I'm not well enough.

I also cover my other electrolytes by supplementing calcium and magnesium. I get potassium from foods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...