Does The Brand Of Probiotic Matter?

yogini

My Lyme doc had told me that the best brands are the ones that need to be refrigerated because that keeps the bacteria alive. You have to get these at a place like The Vitamin Shoppe or a local homeopathic pharmacy. Just a heads up that no one ever tells you, it might take some time to get used to probiotics. They can nauseate you at first. The Lyme doc had me start with one dose a day and increase it each week to full dose to allow my gut to adjust.

I have heard the same thing about buying refrigerated probiotics. I ordered the CVS brand online. They were half off plus I had a 30% coupon.

I have heard that generic meds are the same (usually from the same processing plant) as brand name. I suspect this would be the case even for something like probiotics...but realize probiotics may be easier to screw up than a plain old drug like aspirin which is just a chemical compound. Hopefully I won't regret this decision, lol!

I love my probiotic, but some of them seem to really make me worse. It's funny though, I take the Walgreens Brand Natural 4x and they work REALLY well for me. I used to take whatever their green ones were until they discontinued them, so now I take the Natural 4x. I've tried many that are suppose to be really good, refrigerated, from the health food store and they did not agree with me. But that's just me. My husband needs the refrigerated ones from the health food store. I think it just depends on your system. I can't go a day without taking mine or I start getting messed up.

My son uses Finest Nutrition Digestive Probiotic Ultra Care 30 Billion. I buy this at Walgreens. My son uses this product because there are some strains that he has to stay away from due to his immune system problem.

Rachel

Hi all....regarding probiotics, I'm a recent disciple of Kefir products....honestly, this stuff is fantastic. I started drinking it after a bout of antibiotics screwed up my GI tract. and it was amazing how well it corrected everything. My fiancee travels internationally for business, got hooked on it while in the Middle East at some point and told me that it would be worthwhile for me to try. You can get it literally anywhere (Target, Kroger's, etc.) in the yogurt section, and they have so many amazing flavors (my favorite is the Coconut/Chia). Here's a link to their website:

http://www.lifeway.net/Probiotics/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kefir-general-adgroup&utm_content=lifeway-kefir&utm_campaign=kefir

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!