Getting A Tooth Pulled; Worried About Pots Symptoms :(

MomWithPots

I can't put it off any longer...gotta get a back tooth pulled! I had one pulled last yr and it was horrible. I explained my condition to him, but I feel as if he brushed me off; not familiar with dental terms, but the shot he gave me sent me in panic mode. My hr was 170 and I was really shaky . The dentist said "oh don't worry, that's just the adrenaline in it. Happens sometimes"...needless to say ill be going to a new dentist! Anyway, is there something specific I should be asking for? I'm already gonna be in panic mode before hand :(

Before my POTS diagnosis, I had to have four teeth pulled at once. (Not wisdom teeth, thank goodness!) They decided to do the nitrous oxide and not a sedation (so glad of it, too!), so I was "conscious" during the whole procedure. Unfortunately, I started sort of hyperventilating while they were doing the shots, and I'm pretty sure the NOS did very little whilst the teeth were actually being pulled... ah well. When they were pulling the second or third tooth, the dentist accidentally dropped it inside my mouth! They ended up having to sit me up so I could cough out the tooth, and my heart rate sped up to over 160 bpm! He said, "That was a first." Nobody wants to hear that from their doctor/dentist.... That was actually something that helped clue us into the fact that we needed to look at POTS more closely. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise!

I think we're all different. I've been given epi 3 times during surgery last year to keep my bp up. Surgery for some reason is always hard on my body, I got worse from that point to the point where I was in my wheelchair again. Adding mestinon to my regime got me on my feet again.