Was Anyone Here Also Tested For Addison's?

JuneFlower

I see on many websites that POTS can be confused with Addison's Disease. It is pretty rare but I took my daughter to an Endocrinologist. That dr said her symptoms were suspicious and she should be tested for Addison's. I am wondering if this testing was included in anyone's work up for POTS? I had to ask for it.

June

I also had the stimulation test, and it was negative. This was early on in my POTS, and all my cortisol numbers came back in the normal or low-normal range. Now, about 7 years later, my a.m. cortisol numbers continually come back in the upper high-normal range. I have no clue what is going on, except maybe having POTS puts my body in a chronic "stressed" condition, making extra cortisol secretion a "normal" thing for me.

I was tested by my endocrynologist, because I have a problem with frequent urination and dehydration during flare ups. Basically, I can't get out of a flare without IV saline. My cortisol was on the lower side of normal. I just came back from Mayo, where they also wanted me to see their endocrynologist to clear up that I don't have Addison's. I don't. I've been also to Mayo autonomic clinic and got an explanation to those symptoms there.

I've always wanted to get checked but can't seem to convince anyone to run the tests. It's like they don't think about a secondary cause, they just assume that my dysautonomia is the main cause of itself!

It could be, but I might swing the idea of the hormone issue by the doc anyway

I was negative. But I did read a ton of info about Adrenal Fatigue in which those symptoms overlapped a little with mine. I did use low dose hydrocortisone thru my worst flare and it seemed to help. I still dose it on occasions during flares. I'm about 95% better but the heart of my flare lasted a good year. There's significant reason to be cautious when learning about Adrenal Fatigue and use of cortisone -- also most Endo's completely hate the idea and believe it's a made up internet disease. But most docs's believe POTS is a made up disease for people full of anxiety so it's like picking your battles. Maybe do a little reading and see if some of the info fits you or helps you.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. My daughter actually does have a lot of the same symptoms of addison's. Not adrenal fatigue per say. The endocrinologist wants to run the tests but it takes a few weeks to set up. Ugh. It's a long shot, I know. But I'd hate to find out down the road that we missed it. The dr said people can have it for years without knowing.

June