Anyone Tried Lidocaine Intravenously?

TCP

Hi TCP

Lidocaine by IV, WOW I have never heard anything like it, is there a chance someone is teasing you?? The reason it sounds so far out is that I am down for lidocaine treatment through the pain clinic in Doncaster. As I understand it they use lidocaine at 8000 times normal strength to chemically destroy the nerves in an effort to reduce pain that normal methods such as opioids cannot resolve.

Where the IV comes into it is the treatment is EXTREMELY painful and so they pump morphine into you through an IV line.

This is a serious procedure with many hazards for the patient and the doctors.

I would check to see what exactly you are about to receive

Andy

Thanks guys. I've been reading up on this since it was offered to me, yesterday. I'm not aware of the morphine element as it was made clear during the consultation that I cannot tolerate it and I can see no mention of that in articles I have read. Andy, how is your Lidocaine treatment being administered?

The link below explains a bit more about its application.

https://www.bcidaho.com/providers/medical_policies/pd/mp_50116.asp

As IV means into the vein, I have no issues at present with this and as it's a local anaesthetic is calms the nerves down when all else fails. I've been told it's delivered by a drip and the effects should last about three months. The consultant said that some people really benefit from it and others may not get much relief. It seems to have been used for Fibromyalgia, ME and other neuropathic pain. I have read lots of articles about it on the internet and will look into it further.

All the best

TCP

My son was prescribed it for migraines at one point. He was to lay down and put some in his nostril. It would take a headache away really quickly, but unfortunately it would return when it wore off. The idea was that it might break the pain cycle long enough for the headache to subside, it just didn't work for him.

Morning TCP

Whooooooops I have got it all wrong its not lidocaine I should have been talking about its capsicum !!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY totally got confused, I know you will understand.

So as far as your original question your right it is used as a local anaesthetic, which sort of presents an interesting point insofar as when you use IV then you are subjecting the whole body to the drug which is known as a LOCAL pain killer, let us know when you know please.

Thanks and sorry for the alarm,

Andy

• 4 weeks later...