Anyone Had An Eeg? What Are They Like?

Freaked

A neurologist scheduled an EEG for me a while ago, but he thought it was very unlikely to be abnormal. I haven't really had any fit-like symptoms (touch wood). So I was wondering what they're like? The letter said they'd have to scratch my head thirty-two times and stick electrodes to it. I have very thick hair and I'm worried they'll have to shave loads of it. Also, how 'difficult' is the test for potsies?

Did they tell you to not use conditioner on your hair that day? The technician rubbed my head with a small pad, maybe like an alcohol pad and applied the electrodes with some kind of glue. Then I just laid down on a bed for 20 or 30 minutes, with eyes closed. There was a short section where I had to open my eyes when she made a noise (I can't remember exactly what the noise was- a buzzer or bell maybe).

For me, it wasn't bad at all. Someone else on the forum recently reported a flashing light part of the test that caused her to have convulsions. I don't remember having that kind of test.

Hopefully you'll be fine!

It did take me a couple of washes to get the gel/glue out of my hair so you might have an issue with that. I went straight home and washed it right away.

They wiped the areas they needed to put electrodes with an alcohol pad, used a waxy substance (that washes out easy with a regular shampoo) to stick the many electrodes to me, and then you just lay there while they play various noises and show you some different light patterns. It was no big deal except you probably want to schedule so you can go home and shower afterward. Although the wax is easy to get out it does leave you looking a bit odd until you wash your hair.

I agree with the other posters on this topic. I've had several EEG's throughout the years. None of them have been a big deal (except perhaps the sleep deprived EEG). They won't have to shave any of your hair but the glue can be difficult to get out. Some centers use a gel that washes out pretty easily so it may depend on what your clinic uses. If you find it's hard to get out then use some olive oil or mineral oil on the glue--let the olive oil sit on the scalp a few minutes. Take a fine tooth comb and get the chunks of glue out that you can and then wash you hair. This is one instance where you might want a shampoo that is good for stripping hair of build up (like Prell if you can find it anywhere) and then use conditioner on your hair after that if you need to.

My experience has been pretty much like everyone else experience. I had very long very thick curly hair when I had my normal EEG and they had some difficulty getting one or two of the electrodes to stick, but once the did it was fine. Are you just having the normal, in office EEG? I also had a 72 hours ambulatory EEG, and those are a little bit different than the normal, in office ones.

I have had several regular EEGs, and a weeklong in-hospital EEG. One of them supposedly showed an actual seizure during the test (though I had no symptoms) and resulted in a year of anti-seizure drugs which worsened my then undiagnosed POTS extremely. The next neuro who looked at the results said "reading EEG's is an art" and I did not have a seizure during the test, nor do I have epilepsy.