Mcad Question

How do you guys with mcad do on antibiotics? I'm about 90%sure I have mcad and have come down with a bad upper respiratory infection it's been a week with no improvement and all symptoms and mucus color point towards a bacterial infection. I literally seem to be sensative or allergic to EVERY medicine. Last time I was on amoxicillin I felt itchy on and off(though I do get itchy randomly) while on it and had a bad episode of flushing where my hr went up and my bp went down to 80/56 I'm not sure if that means I had an allergic reaction to it or not since it happened on day four. I cannot take any other antibiotics as they are either too strong for me to handle or I am allergic I'm wondering if I should try the amoxicillin again or not. I know this is somthing to be discussed with a doctor and I already have but I value your guys opinion and know that you know what I'm talking about and go through. Any tips or feedback would be great:)

I can take certain antibiotics and definitely have to stay away from others. But each of us is different and you're going to have to way the pros and cons with your doctor and make the best decision for you. Just fyi....there is now pharmacogenetic testing that you can have that shows how you metabolize meds, potential allergy issues, etc.. It's conducted by a lab called Genelex. After they run the DNA, they send you and your doc a copy of the report and there are online resources for you and your docs that help guide more appropriate treatment decisions based on the genetic findings. It's an easy process. Your doc or you order the kit. The doc fills out and signs their part of the form. You fill out and sign the rest. You take your own cheek swabs with the kit they send you. Send them back FedEx in a prepaid envelope and then just wait for the results. Some insurance pays for this. You'd have to check your insurance.

In reference to Genelex lab testing. I thought most people with mcad that were tested for allergies usually showed no reaction, altho they had a reaction when exposed to the product. Am I wrong? Most of the things I have the most trouble with such as food & meds, show no reaction with allergy testing yet I have severe problems when ingesting.

That's a good point. My blood tests picked up on multiple food allergies. Histamine and trytpase were both normal but I did not have any flushing or symptoms at the time of the blood tests or with the few days before. I have always had anaphylactic reactions to codeine and morphine and sensitive to most medicine but no that I suddenly developed pots I am literally allergic or showing reactions to pretty much anything.

Genelex testing is not allergy testing. It is genetic testing that shows how you metabolize meds and some of that includes a genetic predisposition to drug allergy. It will not determine if you will have a mast cell reaction. However, I have mcad and my reactions to drugs are not all driven by my mcad. And even if you have mcad, you could still have IgE based allergic reactions to medications. For example, I am allergic to penicillin and that most likely is an IgE based allergic reaction. I've had it since I was a kid well before any other mcad type symptoms were an issue. The Genelex testing will also show something like what I experience which is that I'm considered a "rapid metabolizer" which causes me to have little or no effect (good or bad) to many meds, particularly pain meds because I clear them from my system so fast, they don't have a chance to work. Morphine, local anesthetics, and even Ritalin do not help me at all nor do I feel in any way altered by them even at high doses.