New Symptom (Ammonia Smelling Urine)

Darlene

i have a new symptom. this has never happened before, and i am embarrassed to tell my dr. my urine smells like ammonia. also, i have had this funny taste in my mouth, not sure if it tastes like acid or metal. i am a very clean person, don't want the dr. to think i am not. has anyone else has these same symptoms?

Awww, it's not your fault! I don't think the doctor will assume you're a dirty person because you possibly have an infection. It could also just be dehydration, but you should definitely have it checked. Most likely you'll just have to pee in a cup and the doctor will be able to figure it out from there.

My sister is a nursing assistant who works for an OB-GYN. I get some really crazy stories from her. They know some smells are unavoidable and not the patients fault. That said, I can assure you she has horror stories of patients who make ZERO effort to shower or anything before visiting the doctor - not even shower within days of the appointment. :blink: That's the only time the patient is blamed for smelling bad.

If you google "Urine that smells like ammonia", you will find lots of articles, seems dehydration is the main cause. If drinking more doesn't help, a doctor visit sounds like a good idea. I guess all urine smells like ammonia if it is concentrated enough. I had really odd smelling urine once when I was on a mediation, I forget which one, I think an antibiotic,and I told my doctor and he was totally unconcerned. I felt like a dope asking, but it didn't phase him.

When I had a kidney stone, my urine was a light brownish tint due to blood in my urine from the kidney stone irritating the lining of my ureter. My urine also smelled stronger at that time. Did they check for blood in the urine sample? It's pretty standard procedure to check for blood but you never know these days. Might be worth a follow-up call to make sure that was checked. I also agree that dehydration can cause a radical change in the smell and appearance of urine in a matter of a day. Good luck on finding a cause.

If it continues, I would go back and request she do some lab work. I'd want a complete metabolic profile to include: electrolytes, bun, creatinine, glucose, liver enzymes, total bilirubin and possibly a CPK to check for rhabdo (like tachy suggested above). You might also want a blood ammonia level.

Do you think it's just dehydration?? Maybe try drinking more fluids for a few days and see if you can get it to a lighter color?