Thankful For My New Family

Bigskyfam

I found the small details in planning an outing like thanksgiving are huge. I didn't cook this year. Brought a bag of stuff I thought I'd need. Feeling a bit rough, had a 170 spike upon standing before dinner. Not sure what that was all about... Had salty potatoes/ham/ Gatorade and spikes are only up to 130s for now. Is this the new norm?

Overall a good one. Even despite that 4 hr window. My inlaws finally saw my 170 spike/ 150/125 Bp and syncope symptoms... Didn't pass out thank God. While a bit embarrassing it was nice in a way for them to see a window into my life. Really don't want betablockers for Christmas

:( hope everyone had the best day possible .

Hang in there and just don't over do it. It's good for other family members to see what you are dealing with. One more big holiday to go, be sure to pace yourself.

Rachel

I finally was able to give my family a "teaching moment" over Thanksgiving. For the past year as I have been trying to figure out my diagnosis, my rather large, well-meaning Italian family have often tried to understand and treat my strange symptoms the best way they could...through "food therapy". If something is wrong, have some food. Unfortunately because of the MCAS, there are a lot of foods I just cannot eat anymore. I try to explain this, but somehow it gets lost in translation. So despite my intentions to cook and bring my own "safe" food, my parents over-ruled my better judgment and stated they would prepare those safe foods for me...enough for all to enjoy. I hesitated, but gave in. Half way through the meal I began to flush. I could feel my heart rate quicken. I became nauseous and dizzy at the table. I quietly excused myself and frantically started going through the cabinets for Benadryl!!! None to be found...yikes! I usually carry it in my car and have an epi pen there too, but this time I caught a ride. So in the middle of dinner, on Thanksgiving, I had to get someone to drive me to the nearest CVS (thank you for being open!!!!) and get Benadryl. My father says, "...sorry! Your mother and I didn't mean to try and kill you on Thanksgiving! Next year you can cook."