Bladder Infection

gertie

As if I didn't have enough to contend with, now I test positive for bladder

infection. I can't take antibiotics so now I don't know what to do. I've had interstitial cystitis for years but always been lucky not to have bacterial

infection until now. There's no telling how long I've had it because I always

have bladder pain. Any suggestions on treatment?

I got a urinary tract infection after I was catherter-ized in hospital post a back operation. I know it's not a bladder infection. But I too have a real problem with taking anti-biotics. I haven't taken one that agreed with me in 12 years. But just wanted to say that my allergist worked out that if I take sodium bicarb (in small amounts she worked out for me) it might clear the infection. So if you're having a problem with anti-bs perhaps there is another way to approach it. My allergist is extremely smart and although sometimes she can't help me, other times she's a mine of information.

blue

You need to make your urine inhospitable to bacteria - change the pH. You can drink tons of un-sweetened cranberry juice or you can take cranberry pills - I took "Theracran" capsules and was able to beat a difficult, stubborn urinary infection by a hospital-acquired bacteria. I was facing readmission to the hospital for IV antibiotics but, when I found out about this pill, I tried it and it worked! It took about 2 months but, it worked. The company is on the web and I believe the name is "Theralogix" - I ordered the pills directly and they automatically mail them when it is close to time for refill. If you have a prescription from your MD, it may in part be covered by insurance or by a health savings account. Of course, you should check with your physician before you order and take them - just to be safe. I have a relative with chronic interstitial cystitis and her urologist is the one who recommended the Theracran - he said it was the only cranberry pill on the market that actually works well.

There are homeopathic and herbal alternatives to antibiotics. I don't know what would be right for you but if there is a homeopathic pharmacy near you, they could probably guide you in the right direction and also often know of naturopathic doctors in the area that may also be able to give you some alternatives.

D-Mannose!!!! You get it at the health food store. Solray makes one called D-Mannose with Cranactin - 2 capsules three times a day on empty stomach for uti/bladder infection - There are also compounds containing DMannose for uti/bladder infections. Ask about them in the health food store - they are wonderful!!