Urinary Retention (Feeling Great!)

Racer

I just have to share with everyone! What a difference a day can make. I finally got in contact with my doctor today, who decided my symptoms required I go to the hospital immediately. Seeing as I have a UTI they decided to do this simple test. I went and emptied my bladder, then they scanned it to see how much urine was left. I had ALOT that I could not void. They convinced me to let them insert a catheter. After getting over the intense burning... the intense abdominal pain, and so many other symptoms, I have felt for the past three months have totally went away!

I must see a urologist asap to figure out how to treat this, but it is so great to finally get symptom relief. Would have been nice if they listened to me three months ago. If I hadn't got the UTI they would still be ignoring me

(Edit-I changed ml to "alot" since my numbers seemed to be off)

Thanks

Thats so great man! Don't you sometimes feel like they treat patients like they're crazy? I mean come on! Why dont they just listen!? I'm so glad you've improved somewhat. ♥

Yep, and now I start this all over again... called the urologist, me: "I am having problems with urinary retention and need to get a temporary catheter taken out", urology office: "if you have a catheter in and it is working, then you are not having problems with retention". Ugh

I had this problem after childbirth--not sure if it was related to POTS. It also took a very long time for this to get diagnosed, for me. I saw a urologist who put me on a med that I don't remember now. I believe it was an antibiotic--but not really sure now. I took it for several months. Eventually the problem resolved for me. I was told that this is a problem normally seen in the elderly who are not very active. Well, I was not very active b/c I was quite sick with severe POTS... I hope the urologist will address this correctly for you and you get relief soon. I know it is very uncomfortable -- and also repeated infections can make dysautonomia symptoms even worse.

"if you have a catheter in and it is working, then you are not having problems with retention".

It makes you want to just reach out and start slapping...seriously...do these people take part in high school smart *** classes or what? OMG I think I need more meds...

I'm going to need anger management from just reading the forum.

Racer, I'm not sure if I need to offer you a shoulder to cry on or a punching bag. Either way this ***** big time

"if you have a catheter in and it is working, then you are not having problems with retention".

It makes you want to just reach out and start slapping...seriously...do these people take part in high school smart *** classes or what? OMG I think I need more meds...

I'm going to need anger management from just reading the forum.

Racer, I'm not sure if I need to offer you a shoulder to cry on or a punching bag. Either way this ***** big time

Cala

You made me lmao.

I am ready for the punching bag! The hospital never gave me the bag you hang on the bed, they only gave me a leg bag. As I found out last night, I could not sleep with a leg bad! My bladder would NOT drain for obvious reasons. All the air and unsterile urine rushing into my bladder cant possibly be safe? I was sure I could get a bed bag today... but nope, couldn't get in touch with anyone who was willing to help me. Looks like I wont be sleeping tonight or threw the weekend. If all else fails I guess I will be removing this myself

I am ready for the punching bag! The hospital never gave me the bag you hang on the bed, they only gave me a leg bag. As I found out last night, I could not sleep with a leg bad! My bladder would NOT drain for obvious reasons. All the air and unsterile urine rushing into my bladder cant possibly be safe? I was sure I could get a bed bag today... but nope, couldn't get in touch with anyone who was willing to help me. Looks like I wont be sleeping tonight or threw the weekend. If all else fails I guess I will be removing this myself

Oh no. That's just rediculous!!!! I say reak havok until you get what you need! Dont forget, YOU are paying them to give you a service! Stay safe and keep us updated.

Good .....grrr...I hate having to censor myself. I can't remember if I even knew what part of the world your in racer but this is just WRONG!

DO NOT take that thing out yourself! I'm getting heebee Jeebeeies just thinking about that to start with. It shouldn't even be an issue here. What emergency room sends you home like that?? I thought those things had a tube lock on them for the nighttime....OK..I'm getting heebees again here...

Good .....grrr...I hate having to censor myself. I can't remember if I even knew what part of the world your in racer but this is just WRONG!

DO NOT take that thing out yourself! I'm getting heebee Jeebeeies just thinking about that to start with. It shouldn't even be an issue here. What emergency room sends you home like that?? I thought those things had a tube lock on them for the nighttime....OK..I'm getting heebees again here...

If you know for sure that they're going to take It out, ypu might just do a more delicate job then them. I'm not supporting or negating it but I'm just saying.... When I gave birth to my kids.... they were animals taking out the catheter. Either way.. I hope you get what you need soon.

Is the catheter supposed to be removed before you get to a urologist to figure out why you have the retention. My step dad had retention and they said he was lucky he finally went to the doc when he did (he was refusing for a while) because he was close to rupturing his bladder. If you can't get anywhere on your own making a urologist appointment,try calling the ER and talking to the doc that treated you there. Maybe they can have you come in for the overnight bag and also refer you to someone specific and call them for you.

I am supposed to have it taken out by a urologist, but they could tell me I need to keep it in longer, I dont know. Surprisingly it is not all that bad, way better then the pain I was in. I just wish they would have given me the proper equipment to get a much needed good nights sleep. This is the first in months I have been able to lay in bed mostly pain free, yet I cant sleep with a tiny leg bag. Did I mention I have to empty this thing every hour? Just my luck to be stuck with the worlds smallest "bladder" (not as if you could fit anymore in a leg of your pants :rolleyes:)

Keep an eye on your output. Hope they gave you a bottle or one of those toilet hat thingys to measure how much you pee vs how much you drink. Keep tabs on it. Don't let it get to the point it was before.

If it's even hinting at getting that way, start hounding them like a kid wanting Christmas present hints LOL don't let them push you around.

After taking the cath out yesterday, I was not able to go the rest of the day, at all, none. So this morning I had to go back to the hospital to get another catheter. This time the doctor recommended that I keep it in for a week. My body needs time to heal, and meds need time to build up in my system. They hooked me up with all the proper supplies this time, another course of cipro, up on zofran... everything is flowing threw me, I couldn't feel any better right now. Going to try to relax and de-stress the next couple days

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies

Good to hear you're feeling better. I'm always fighting utis but mine appear

to be from oxalates. I've cut back on these again and am having less

urinary symptoms. I just found out that I was getting stones in 2008 but

suspect the problem started sooner. Recent studies are showing oxalate problems are common for leaky gut. Fun fun fun ..

just an fyi on the cipro. It's a flouroquinonlone and these can cause

severe reactions in some people. I was given Levafloxin and after about

4 days I noticed slight shoulder pain but just ignored it. My shoulders and knees went out in Jan

2013 and I'm still dealing with weakness and imobility.

Hope you feel better soon. tc .. d