Mental Health

Racer

I notice many with issues like depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc. I wonder, the people getting help for these sort of things, does it affect the way doctors treat you? I know many of us are fighting to have doctors take us serious, and not write us off as having psych troubles. So how do you ask for help when having these sort of problems?

I guess I could have chosen a better title for this thread. I guess I am asking what should I do, what have others done? I am so afraid that if I was to admit to being depressed nothing else would be taken serious. I just want to take the proper med for depression and really bad anxiety. I keep having panic attacks, I think I am on the verge of a mental breakdown

Hi Racer,

As a parent, I was very sensitive about this matter with my son. However, I've come to realize that when you are having to deal with a chronic illness that has turned your life upside down that you may become depressed. My son did pretty well dealing with POTS for the first 6 to 8 months. However, when his health condition kept getting worse, my son stopped smiling and laughing. He was just not himself. My son takes Zoloft and this does help. My son became depressed because of the illness itself. However, the Zoloft does help him stay focused on school work so that's another benefit. I would suggest you go visit your POTS doctor and tell him how you feel and how it's effecting you. You don't need anything else to make the dysautonomia worse.

I broaching the topic of anti-depressants probably is difficult, since so many doctors like to blame chronic illness on depression/anxiety and ignore physical issues. But there is so much we have to deal with, both physically and with the emotional strain of having a poorly understood chronic illness, that I think some level of depression and anxiety is a perfectly normal response and hopefully a good doctor would understand that and work with you. I'm not sure sure if that's something you should ask your primary care doctor about or find a psychiatrist? Also, I would strongly recommend seeing a therapist or psychologist for talk therapy in addition to medication, especially if you do feel you're on the verge of a mental breakdown. I don't know if your mental health issues are due to dysautonomia or a separate issue, but regardless talking it out with a professional can really help you sort out feelings and make everything seem more manageable. Good luck, I hope you're able to get the help you need very soon!

I strongly feel the same. I recently moved out to TX and haven't really been happy despite having family out here. I feel more depressed and stressed out, recently had some crazy things happen (car accident, failed an exam I should've passed, etc). I have tried deep breathing technique, distraction, imagery, everything, nothing really helps. I have had mental breakdowns where I want to drive myself to the point of suicide but I know when to hold back. It's worse when you have insomnia and don't get enough sleep. Worst combination ever.

When I get insurance soon, I'll bring up the suggestion of Zoloft to the psychiatrist. Anyone else have any other recommendations for what works for them? I have tried quite a bit...my worst experience was on Xanax and the benzodiazepine withdrawal effects. Nearly killed myself on it, that's why I try to tell people to avoid if possible or taper off the medication little by little at the right times. Benzo's are terribly addicting. You'd think some young potsies shouldn't even be on an antidepressant/antianxiety/antipsychotic med but it's really all we can do. I fear for the long term effects. It stinks.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, I think it's natural though having to fight chronic illness and searching for answers. May be this mantra can be of help avoiding panick attacks: keep calm and carry on. It's what I use when things are heading downwards.

Racer if you'd like the topic title to be changed just let me know okay?

My cardio dude put me on Paxil because he was worried with my mental health from being basically home bound. I just started it, so I can't tell a difference yet, but I can tell you I have struggled with depression off and on all my life, and what I used to do when these swings would hit, I cannot now. I would go hiking to my favorite spot and do photography, and I was away from the stresses of the world. I would instantly come back better and my mind cleared.

Now that I'm slowly accepting my diagnosis and what all is going on around me, I'm coming around and trying to be a bit perky with everything. Yesterday I was told I seemed to be more empowered since i got out of the hospital this week. Well, yeah, I had some confirmation in some areas, and advice in others, and its been better explained to me. So yeah, I'm more of I have this, it doesn't have me. This morning kinda bites because I have yet to rouse myself from bed because the feet on the ground thing isn't working like it did yesterday, but that's okay.

I hope you get something that helps you. And I'm a hugging kinda of gal, so I send you a big (HUG) too.

Thanks for the advice

Today I got my neurologist to switch my seizure med back to depakote. The last time I was on depakote, it had the side effect of greatly reducing my anxiety (and stopping my headaches), so if I have to be on a seizure med, I guess it is better to be on one that takes care of the most problems.

I really dont get much help from my GP, so I guess it wouldnt hurt to ask him for help.

I would be extremely uncomfortable seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist. Having asperger syndrome, I have been to plenty of them growing up. They will want to put me on antipsychotic meds. Risperdal is what they prescribe, and would have me sitting and drooling on myself unable to function. Not really looking for a drug induced lobotomy, or being forced to live in a group home.

I am hoping to just try a med like zoloft or something, and avoid the whole talking about it to them part.

Guest Hanice

You can try going natural if you can, things like Valerian really help with chilling you out. I am extremely scared that I will lose my mind at times. Seriously, its not depression with me, its panick attacks. They hit me out of nowhere. Its super scary and I feel like Im going crazy. I think its just dysautonomia. For me. But if its too bad on you maybe you should tell your pots doctor that the dysautonomia has you really ______ _______. < what ever it is, I hope the best for you and thanks for sharing. I had been actually meaning to post this (almost) exact same question :-)