What Do You Use For Skin Care?

Hey brothers and sisters,

I realize that some of us suffer from dehydrated and dry skin conditions like eczema and an assortment of other skin conditions but mainly, dehydrated, sensitive skin. While staying hydrated internally is important, I'm also curious what do fellow potsies use for their skin? My armament contains Cera Ve cleanser and moisturizer, a mineral water spray, and vitamin C serum to brighten, but skin is still so dry! I even tried oral collagen pills and topical hyaluronic acid... Please share!

BQ: anyone suffer from strong BO? As in body odor? lol, mine started when POTS started coming around and I can't get rid of it :(

8/31/13 Update:

Body Odor:

- Secret deodorant (Regular or Clinical Strength)

- Degree Expert Protection

Dry Mouth/Bad Breath:

- Biotene products (mouthwash and/or spray)

- Throat lozenges (Luden's?)

- Xylimelts (great stuff at night!)

Mouth/Oral Ulcers:

- Dental Paste

- Canker Sore Patches (Decreases size overnight)

Skin Care:

- Cera Ve Hydrating Cleansers

- Coconut oil for moisturizing

- Baby products

- Ology products

- California Baby products

- Dove Unscented/Sensitive Soap

- Any sensitive skin care products

Flare Ups:

- OTC Antihistamines (I have personal preference for Xyzal but any antihistamine should do)

Lip Balm:

- Virtuoso (no petroleum)

- Coconut oil!

Post-Prandial Hypotension/Circulation Issues/Back Pain:

- Compression Stockings

- Abdominal Binder

I use extra virgin coconut oil to moisturize as I'm allergic to regular and even prescription lotions. I do have more b.o. than prior to pots because of the hyperhydrosis pots causes for me. I can only say that I shower right before I'm about to be around other people, I change my clothes frequently, I dress in layers to try to prevent sweating as much as possible, and I also use baby powder to help keep me dryer longer. I can't use clinical strength deodorant because my skin is too sensitive but I have to say it did work much better than the regular stuff when I tried it. I also use spray deodorant on my feet before I put on sock and shoes. I never had foot odor before this either but even my feet sweat like crazy now.

Yeah, I sweat like crazy when I was working, so I use clinical strength secret for deodorant. I guess I'm lucky on the skin issue, because I am a little sensitive to some lotions, but there are a couple I can use. My favorite is Burt's bees milk and almond lotion. It's kinda runny, but it absorbs quickly, and it honestly smells like sunshine to me, so it makes me happy wearing it. I am currently using jergans soothing aloe lotion. For body wash, aveno is a fave,but kinda expensive, so I've been using st Ives oatmeal body wash, and haven't had any problems with it yet, and it leaves me pretty soft and smelling pretty.

I too am a layer person, because I alternate hot and cold so much. Normally two shirts, a tank that doubles as a sports top that wicks sweat away, and a t shirt, and I usually have a hoodie or light jacket around somewhere, depending on where I'm at and how the temp is.

Its actually an RX for breakouts that I was given when started Florinef...

it's a wipe and I had absolutely no side effects from it (which is very rare) Anyway, it's called Prascion which is an rx only. I did rec. samples to try before picking up the actual script and I love it. I broke out so badly from the Florinef (at freakin' 25) And this cleared it up without drying it out.

Best of luck,

sarah

I started taking otc antihistamines and that resolved most of my sensitive skin issues (itching, rashes, etc). For excessive sweating I use clinical strength secret when I go out, and regular Secret solid when at home (because clinical is so expensive). I also dress light, change clothes frequently, and use baby powder. Sometimes I take a second shower, but I avoid that if possible because showers are such a pain. My skin doesn't get dry usually, but on occasion I use Eucerin body lotion, feels kind of greasy but I don't think I have ever had a reaction to it. I'm using Dove sensitive skin body wash right now. I'm not fond of the scent but I like the texture and as long as I am on antihistamines my skin doesn't react to it. Before the antihistamines the only body wash I could find that I didn't react badly to were Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Sensitive Skin and Aveeno Skin Relief. Equate is cheaper, but it doesn't lather and I ended up having to use a ton of it per shower, I do not recommend it. Aveeno is more expensive per bottle, but you only have to use a little bit of it because it really stretches. Aveeno leaves your skin feeling very soft and smooth, would especially be great for dry skin.

Awesome info, great tips! Thanks! I'll definitely look into Secret, Aveeno, and coconut oil. Speaking of coconut oil, I found out there's a coconut oil that is mixed with oxygen and is supposedly great for skin. Might be something to look into. Do you guys have unusually bad breath as well? Sorry, I know the thread is about skin care but don't think I want to make a separate thread just to ask if other potsies/dysautonomia people have bad breath haha

I go through periods of dry mouth and my breathe is worse when this happens. It's a pretty common symptom of dry mouth. My dentist has me use various Biotene products (which ever I like to use) when the dry mouth crops up. Its helpful. Dry mouth is a common problem for those of us that have hydration issues.

Good stuff! Biotene, Ology, and baby products are now on my checklist. With regards to the dry mouth, I think we are also prone to Sialolithiasis, or salivary stones. I remember having an odd pain sometime when the dry mouth started and it turned out I had a stone blocking the duct. It got removed after a swish of pickle juice, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sialolithiasis

I figure if we can gather up what works for the minor symptoms, then we can improve our lives a little bit better.

Hi all,

Okie that's very interesting about salivary stones as I had one as well but I had to go to an oral surgeon to have it excised. I never thought about it being connected to this condition. I guess that makes sense though with having mouth dryness issues. I have a sore throat much of the time so I use throat lozenges a lot which also helps with breath issues.

I have also noticed a bit of an increase in arm pit odor. I use Degree Expert Protection solid antiperspirant /deodorant.

I have extremely sensitive rashy itchy skin ( I have eczema). I have been using Lubriderm sensitive skin lotion but I have come to realize that it contains petrolatum which is really not a good thing. Not all of the Lubriderm products contain petrolatum but those that don't contain other irritating additives. It's very difficult finding a lotion that does not contain petrolatum as well as lanolin, dyes fragrance etc.

If anyone knows of one please let me know. After reading about others positive experience with coconut oil as well as my sisters testimonial about the benefits of coconut oil I decided to give it a try. I hadn't tried it before as I was afraid of getting it on my clothes. Anyway after applying it I became extremely ill from the overwhelming coconut odor. I was overtaken with nausea and dizziness and had to wash it off and lay down. I love coconut and eat it in all of its various forms all the time so I never imagined I would have such a strong reaction by applying it to my skin. So weird.

I use Dove sensitive, unscented soap on my skin. I use Enjoy hair products and very specific Lancome products on my face. I also use prescription Cortisone creams and dental paste for oral ulcers.

I wear an abdominal binder most of the time and have found it helpful to apply unscented powder under it especially in warmer weather.

If I find a really good replacement sensitive skin lotion I will let you know. Oh, for my lips I use Virtuoso lip balm. No petroleum products in it.

Janet

Thanks Janet, updated the list. I also added 2 helpful things like Xylimelts and canker sore patches. Sorry to hear about the coconut oil reaction. I'm fine with regular virgin coconut oil but get nauseated from the smell of coconut oil and oxygen combinations (PurO3). Like the other posters suggested, baby products are ideal because they are sensitive, unscented, and more natural (or softer on the skin). At the top of my head, California Baby lotion might be good. It's alot of trial-and-error to see what works.

I wish I could change this thread title to "What Do You Use For Daily Care Needs" or something along those lines.

If you have low vitamin D it's not good for your skin. I've noticed that my skin is less dry after several months of really paying attention to my D.

Also when my iron levels were low my skin was dryer. I'm gluten free and limit dairy so it's hard for me to get what I need without suppliments.

Okie,

Thanks for starting this thread and comprising a reference list. Sharing information that might help others is so important. I love your enthusiasm. I will have to check out unscented baby products. I had kind of forgotten about them.

Katybug,

Thank you for the avocado oil suggestion. I will give that a try. I'm sorry you developed an allergy to it but glad to hear that you are able to use coconut oil as a replacement.

Sarah,

Thanks for bringing up Prascion as a treatment for acne. I hope to be able to give florinef a try in future and it's helpful to know what is available if a temporary acne side effect emerges.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Janet

• 1 month later...