Ways To Use Stairs?

Racer

In recent months, I have had to many episodes of rolling down the stairs, probably not the best way to go down them. I am feeling it might be a good idea to modify the way I do some things. Luckily I seem to turn to rubber and bounce, having avoided serious injury so far.

How does everyone go up and down stairs safely? How about ways to avoid fainting in the shower?

Are you using a shower chair and hand held shower in the shower? Keeping the water temp down so it's not so hot in there?

I don't faint so don't have your issues with stairs, although they are still challenging. How about sitting down on them and scooting up and down them on your bottom? Rolling definitely seems a little rough on the old bod. :unsure:

Stairs are rough. I avoid them if at all possible. I have pretty much mastered the shower though. I take quick showers and make sure my Midodrine has kicked in before I get in. I need cold showers because I can't handle the heat and cold water helps with my circulation, but the cold water shock is not only miserable but it sets off an adrenaline rush and makes matters worse. So, I start with warm water (not hot) and during the shower I turn it down a notch over and over as I get used to the cooler water. By the end of the shower the water is cold and I don't mind it. It actually feels pretty good since standing makes be get really hot. I am hyperpots, so not sure if that happens to all of us. Sometimes I still end up having to sit down in the tub for a couple of minutes in the middle, but lately I have been getting through showers pretty well.

As others suggested, you could scoot on your bum each step at a time. That's what I used to do when I couldn't do stairs in an upright position. As for showers go, I started with a bath chair but had way too much pooling in my legs, so I had a handheld shower installed, one with a long hose, so I can sit down in the tub with my knees under my chin to prevent pooling.

I normally sit and scoot stairs at the house, usually only when I do laundry. O shower with a shower chair positioned under the showerhead and with a handheld. Try to do all of this as fast as I can, because I still pass out way easy.

Sitting and scooting down the stairs is the best way I've found as well. Going up I either scoot up the same way or I walk up 3-6 steps at a time and then sit and rest if I'm struggling.

As for showering, I tried a bath chair but that made things worse for me with my eds issues. I take luke

warm to cool showers (never cold as that sets off symptoms too) and if I feel like things are starting to go downhill I sit down on the tub floor. I have a hand held shower that has an extra long hose so I don't have to struggle with it. I have also resigned myself to the fact that their may be moments when I have to lay down the tub (water turned off) or on the bathroom floor soaking wet if I feel really bad. It's a much better solution than passing out and cracking my head open which I watched someone do once (not in the shower, lol!).

Sitting and scooting would work, I just feel like I am giving up so much mobility. I spend most of my day in my bedroom on the second floor, and make several trips up and down stairs in a day. I just dont feel like I need to change, even that I know I must do something, if that makes sense?

I will have to give the shower chair a try. Hopefully I can find something small and compact, easy to carry, since we have only a single bathroom, and my parents wouldn't want something like that sitting around. I tried to convince my parents to get a handheld shower (we had one before), but they do not like them. I have always had the thinking hotter the better, so I guess I could start by trying turning the water down.

If you google "shower bench" you can find some light weight, portable options. You probably will want one with adjustable legs so you can adjust it to a height that fits you comfortably. The benches don't have backs on them though so if you have balance issues you might want a shower chair which will have a back on it, be slightly heavier and more expensive.

As far as hand-held showers go, there are some options. We found one that has 2 shower heads- 1 that stays at the top and another on a sliding pole that attaches to the hose for me to use. That way my husband can use the regular shower head and I can use the hand held. There are also some that have 1 shower head that can slide up and down similarly and still have the option of being used as a hand-held unit or attached like a regular shower head.

Hot water will dilate your blood vessels in your tissues so it's harder to keep the blood getting up to your brain, thus much more likely you'll have problems.