Starting I V I G

Guest Alex

I'm not sure why your physician does not want to have IV Benadryl ordered as a "prn" drug. It works in a totally different way than Solumedrol. Benadryl is an antihistamine and blocks the histamine release from allergic responses - it is a front-line drug for allergic responses. Solumedrol is a steroid that suppresses the immune response. They both work together in totally different ways to help block any untoward reaction you might have.

I'm just glad you were able to obtain the IVIG - it is a difficult drug to get due to the shortages. I wish you all the best and sincerely hope this will help you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E Soskis,

I don't know what his reasons were, but to be honest, I was glad he finally agreed to the IVIG and didn't really want to push my luck any further. I know the solumedrol and the benadryl are different classes of meds, but I guess I can always take the benadryl on my own, while the solumedrol has to be prescribed. I am definitely going to talk to the nurse administering the IV before self medicating though.

Thank you once again for your input and for your wishes.

Alex

I'm so excited for you Alex. Wishing you all the best and great success with your IVIG therapy.

Janet

This is a good and very simple article explaining IVIG and how it's used, and how works.

What I found most interesting is how many 'off label' uses there are for IVIG.

http://potsgrrl.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-could-ivig-help-pots.html

This may be simplistic for people who have studied IVIG, but may help those who are just learning about it.

How much are people in the US paying for treatment? With insurance, what's the average co-pay?

It was recommended to me by Dr. Klimas for immune deficiencies but I've put it off for now.

Good luck with your IVIG treatment Alex!

Best,

K

Thanks for your support Kitt.

The article you posted helps as it's written from a patient's perspective.

Indeed IVIG can be used off label for many different health issues. I know of women who get it as an infertility treatment (not sure if that's even listed on Lauren Stiles' blog (that would be potsgrrl).

I would encourage you to look into this as a form of treatment for you - particularly since your dr is willing to prescribe it. As you can see from dinet, many are willing to try this treatment but can't persuade a dr to prescribe it for them. I can't speak to the financial aspects of this though as medical expenses (well most of them anyway) are covered by the provincial health plans in Canada.

Best,

Alex

Jpjd59, thank you so much. Best of luck to you and your daughter as well...September is just around the corner. I hope your insurance will cover the expenses - fingers crossed. :)

Alex

Hi Alex,

Hope things went well today. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachel

Hanice, Rachel,

thanks for keeping an eye on me.

I've made it through day one and I am due for another round tomorrow.

Things were quite uneventful this morning. My Dr agreed to tylenol and benadryl added to the solumedrol as premeds and I guess they helped. He told my nurse to listen to me as "I'm the girl who always does her homework, and my suggestions have never been out of line" :lol: . Aside from being tired and having a headache that seems to be responding OK-ish to tylenol I can't complain much. I did have a spike in HR when the solumedrol was started, but that subsided once the nurse agreed to lower the infusion rate. They kept me hydrated and have monitored my vitals throughout the whole process. My HR seems to be a bit on the high side (side effect of the solumedrol perhaps :unsure:) but nothing this POTSie can't handle.

Looking forward to day 2.

Thanks everyone for being here for me.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Glad to hear you made it through day 1 okay and are set for day 2. I'm sure your doctor and nurse appreciate all of your knowledge and input. I hope your headache has resolved by now. You're in my thoughts and prayers for an uneventful infusion tomorrow.

Janet

Hi Alex,

So glad to hear your first day of infusion went well. Sorry about the headache, they do happen. Sound like you did better then I did on my first go with it.

Hope today goes easier and you come home with no headache or side effects. It is important to not overdue and get lots of rest the next few days. You can get side effects up to 5 days post infusion. Drinks lots of water!

Take care!

I survived day 2, but I am a bit tired and only have enough energy to thank all of you who have thought about me and rooted for me.

I will keep you all posted and I will also try yo address some other "issues" that have been brought up as soon as I can.

Alex

Guest Hanice

Hey Alex. I hope you're okay and resting. Please be safe and please please please update soon. I hope to hear about it all soon and I hope it wasnt too bad.

Hi Alex,

Glad to hear you are making it. I assume today was your last day with IVIG. Take it easy tomorrow and post when you feel up to it.

Rachel

Alex, glad you are getting through it all somewhat okay, and glad you are beginning this journey. I hope it helps your POTS, if not completely, enough for you to jump back into some new life adventures that you've been missing! I'm happy that you have a doctor that is helping you with all this.