Accuracy Of Gastric Empty Test?

Racer

I really thought my gastric empty test would show delayed emptying, since it seems like it is the problem I am experiencing. Of course the results were 9% retention at 4 hours, within the normal range. According to my doctor this test (among others) rules out any GI cause for my nausea/vomiting and that I should talk to my neurologist.

I really question the accuracy of this test. I was only given the egg (no toast or anything), and the lady said she placed all the material in the first bite, so I only had to eat that bite if I wanted. They kept switching me to different machines to scan me, and different techs seemed to do each scan a bit different. Then to add to it all, the report says I was scanned every 15min for the first two hours, when really I was only scanned 5 times over four hours. They said they monitored my activity between scans, when really that was not the case as I went for walks between scans

The doctors opinion... non of that is important, only the empty times, and my times are normal, UGH!!! I would be okay if the test is normal, but how accurate is the test to begin with, let alone a botched one

I think the test is pretty accurate, as far as I know, BUT, if you weren't in a bad period for your nausea, you may have shown normal results. I've had some tests show my emptying to meet criteria for gastroparesis, and my most recent test a few years ago was normalish...I think my retention was around 13%; I wasn't having a bad GI period at the time of that test.

Part of the problem for me with the test was I was in true crisis when I called for an appointment, which took FOUR months of waiting; by then the crisis had passed. Not sure if this applies to your test, but I'm pretty sure it was what happened for mine.

I dont know, maybe the tests are correct and the nausea is something neurological, I see the neurologist in a week. I was thinking delayed emptying because it seems to fit in with the IBS-C, possible liver mass/gallbladder complications and the rest of the GI stuff. The next test the doctor wants to do is a colonoscopy.

I just know that I have been in constant pain, nausea/vomiting for over a month and none of the medications have worked. I initially got a little relief from zofran and linzess, but they stopped working. I have lost 20lbs and currently experiencing intense palpitations, chest pain, a full body ache, intense fatigue, that I am certain is caused by malnutrition. I am beyond desperate for relief, yet doctors dont seem very concerned. The hospital just takes my sitting BP, does a ekg, sometimes I get fluids and then I am sent home. I am at the point of willing to try just about anything