My Attempt At A Poll (Topic: Brain Fog)

thegron

Tell me about your brain fog!  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i hate how i feel after eating a big meal, like someone has drugged my food and I"m trying to think through a london fog or something, blegh

Ashleypooh, do you know what's up with that feeling?? Why is that after a big meal I feel so icky?? I get the whole blood going to the stomach to digest thing but yeesh!! It makes me feel so foggy and I go into a yawning fit, where I can't stop. And I just kinda zone out for awhile. I keep thinking maybe its something more than just the blood in the stomach?

• 2 months later...

In normal individuals (who don't have POTS), blood is not actually shunted away from the brain to the gut. There is increased flow to the gut but blood flow to the brain is maintained.

You get sleepy after a big meal due to increased and decreased amounts of different hormones, mostly mediated by the parasympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system.

I'm actually fairly certain that all of this holds true in POTS patients as well. But if you have excessive blood pooling in your gut, it could make your orthostatic symptoms worse.

Just one man's opinion ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm actually a really intelligent person, judging by my past school record, but you might not guess it because I have been so out of it lately. Reading a paragraph can be a real challenge sometimes. I have very little mental energy and seem to be halfway towards stupor.

I want to address the underlying causes, but so far nothing has really helped. Has any of you tried adding ADHD meds and did it help you?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...