Want To Start Getting My Strength Back

Elish

No Offense, but for a woman, I was insanely strong before pots. Now, there are days where I have to have my husband open a jar! I am very stubborn and don't like asking for help, but having pots has made me realize that now I need to. I don't have to, I NEED to. Regardless I want to start getting strong again and doc wants me to loose 10 lbs. Doc wants me to do cardio, but I know I can't. Its not because I don't want to or that I have not tried, I have. I just physically have never been able to do it. So, based on this, what would ya'll recommend I try?

I would weightlift. You could start off small with light weights and a program with POTS friendly movements and go from there. I'm not sure of the severity of your symptoms and what you would feel safe doing, but even if it's a rough beginning, conditioning your leg muscles might help with your hypotension. I weightlift 5 days a week with a cardio workout two to three days a week.

All this exercise talk is easier said than done. I love when a cardiologist tells me to do cardio and I must look dumbfounded because I'm thinking, I came in here to you today because I'm lightheaded, tachy and can barely stand yet I was prescribed cardio as a remedy. It's funny! I guess we just take baby steps and work our way up. I would suggest walking, I know even that can be difficult, I know that it is for me. You could do some sitting exercises. I do these butt kicks (donkey kicks) and I know it's not a "cardio" thing but my heart sure does feel like it's going to explode after all that. I say, every little bit counts and adds up, so, maybe today and this week, do 3-5 minutes of something. Next week add on 3-5 minutes, etc.

Start with a physical therapist. They can evaluate and suggest how to start safely. If you want to try starting on your own, I would suggest a walking or stationary bike program. Start with a minute of either exercise. Do 1 minute everyday and next week go up another minute. Eventually you will be able to do 5 minutes after 5 weeks. Its seems small but can work if you have not been doing any exercises. If you are exercise intolerant, you may need to exercise every other day. This is what my son did in the very beginning. He also rested on Saturdays and Sundays.

I agree. We need exercise, but it can be very hard to get started. After my visit in March to Mayo, I got a recumbent bike for home. Drs orders. I could only do a couple of minutes to start with, and my husband had to be there in case I passed out. But I was determined to make it work. As of July I was able to go 4 miles and 20 min. But the best thing is that I was noticing POTS improvements. Just small things, but improvements non the less. Unfortunately I came down with a severe case of shingles 10 days ago and am flat on my back. Not only from the shingles, but it has put me into a major POTS flare. I feel like I'm going to be back a square one probably as far as the exercise, but I know it's worth the effort.

Can you start with some gentle lying down core and leg strengthening exercises? I see you have hypermobility issues, so it would be best if you could see a knowledgeable PT who could address how you can safely exercise without damaging your joints.

Personally, I have tried for the past 3 years to do cardio and kept working up to a very good/vigorous level just to crash and end up sick again and back to square one. It was a vicious cycle. I had some testing done in the spring that showed that my aerobic energy system is basically broken which totally explains why I was having the experience I was having. So I started doing very short episodes of lying down exercises and gradually progressed to doing more and more exercises and added in weights/resistance bands and more upright exercises. BUT, I still don't do any exercise that exceeds 3 minutes max at a time and try to avoid exceeding my "anaerobic threshold" on my HR monitor. I rest enough between exercises to get my HR back down and until my muscles feel fully recovered. It's contrary to "everything" I know about how you are "supposed" to exercise, but it's working for me in this current situation.

The result of this exercise plan, along with some med changes and IV saline, has been that I am MUCH more functional now and can do much more everyday around my house than before when I was forcing myself to do the aerobic exercise my POTS doc ordered. I'm feeling stronger and my clothes are fitting better as well. And, I seem to keep getting incrementally better and am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be having so many of these recurring crashes/flares/relapses that I was having in the past. Time will tell.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for your advice! I worked up to it, and it took some time, but now; I am proud to report that I am able to walk my kid to school! It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes (2 - 3 times longer, than it does my brother in law), but I can do it!!! Now, my pots just has to co-operate, because (like everyone here) I still have my good days and bad days. Its on my bad days, that my brother in law, will take my kiddo to school. But, non the less, I can do it!

Good for you! Sounds like you have made some progress and that you have learned how to manage this ugly Dysautonomia Beast.

Rachel

• 3 months later...