Resume/job Interview--Do You Tell Employer Your Condition?

spinner

Ive relocated north, and had gotten work right away however wasnt able to work 9 hour days. Im looking for other sales work but now I know I can only work about 6 hours. I put this information right on my resume, alongside "diagnosed cleveland clinic" which carries some weight around here. If asked I say I have a neurological condition affecting my central nervous system. I say im looking for part time work- up to 30 hours a week.

No doubt its scaring off people, but I figure theyre going to find out anyway. My last boss knew all about my situation and tried to work with me--especially with the heat issue.

Im wondering how many people tell their employer whats going on, and how many keep that private. Quite honestly Id have to say potential employers will definitely discriminate against you (but never tell you this is the reason you werent hired).

I have worked at my current company for eighteen years so my boss has seen me suffer through the years of symptoms and finally the diagnosis. She has actually on various occasions: driven me to the emergency room, called the ambulance, called my husband to arrange pick up of kids, etc. There would have been no way to keep it from the company at all. I think that everyone should be honest with their employers, it helps the relationship to be honest.

I walked away from one job in which my condition made it dangerous for others (nursing home/long term care facility) and I have fainted at work with my current employer - so yeah....he does know. I'm not sure how I would handle new employment. My guess is that I would exercise my right to keep it quiet until necessary or obvious.

If you decide to say something, you might try something more understandable. A central nervous system condition just sounds scary and unapproachable (to me at least). If you want to say you have syncope or POTS which entails a heat issue, say that -- and tell what happens to you in the heat. Yeah, they won't get that it's every minute of every day but you will have said what you need to say.

Spinner,

I was a former operations manager and was given a lot of training in interviewing. Due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, you aren't supposed to ask questions regarding someone's health during the interview process and they should not make hiring decisions based on any disability for legal purposes. However, if you volunteer the information, you can't really take it back. Are you applying for jobs that are advertised as PT and are you applying for jobs that will require some form of accommodations or not? That will factor in to whether or not you need to disclose your illness. I had people working for me that had illnesses that I didn't know about when and hired them and it was fine. I found out when I needed to know. The one caution I would give is this, I had a severe diabetic who wasn't good about taking his insulin and he had a seizure. Management didn't know about his diabetes (which was fine if he was managing it properly) . He was embarrassed to tell us about it. Fine too. Luckily when he seized, a friend was there and was able to tell us so that the paramedics could be informed. My point being that if you don't share your illness, you should be careful you're not putting yourself in harms way or at least carry a medic alert bracelet/wallet card to explain to paramedics should they ever be needed.

you are not required to tell an employer or potential employer about any disability. i have researched this extensively due to problems i had at my previous employer.

in my personal experience, i would NOT disclose unless and until you need an accommodation or medical help. i also wouldn't take a job unless i knew they could accommodate me if i had issues later.

i went thru the ringer at my last place and was discriminated against. i'm now working part-time for a company i love. i wouldn't relive that experience for a billion dollars.

http://www.ada.gov/qandaeng.htm

in my case, i referred to this article frequently:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/telework.html