Water - How Much Is Too Much?

I have gotten some differing opinions on this. I was drinking 5 L a day, and a cardiologist said that was fine. Now a Mayo trained neurologist has told me to cut back to 3 L because I maybe diluting some of my electrolytes. Both are POTS experts. I'm cutting back starting yesterday, and hoping it will help reduce my orthostatic headaches. I'm going to try adding in some non-water drinks too. But I have trouble with the citric acid in gatorade and with anything even slightly acidic due to gastro problems. I'm adding e-lyte into water bottles occasionally and doing Smart Water as well occasionally.

My POTS doctor claimed that Smart Water is useless as far as liquid to electrolyte balance, apparently it does not have very much electrolytes compared to liquid content. But I have seen some electrolyte drink recipes floating around here that could help with the citric acid problem, I also have used Nuun electrolyte tabs in my drinks sometimes, they are flavored and are pretty good tasting, I don't think they are very acidic either. In general I try to make sure most of my beverages have electrolytes in them, I am tiny so I can only drink so much in the day and I want to make sure I have a good balance. That system works pretty well for me.

In the beginning my son was drinking 4-6 liters of water or gatoraide a day. For him, this was just too much and he drinks 2-3 liters a day besides 3-4 cups of milk. In many of Dr. Grubbs articles, he suggest 2 liters a day. I really think it depends on the person. On warmer days or when my son is having a really bad day, he tends to drink more. This week has been pretty rough and there have been at least a couple of days he has drank 5 liters. After reading many articles, I think the least amount you might want to drink is 2 liters.

My cardio wants me to cut back to a gallon per day. Counting food, that is pretty tough for me... I do think it dilutes electrolytes.

I have found that for me, adding a pinch of bicarb to my e-lytes makes me less thirsty. Also I read an article on Sjogrens (which is a dry mouth & eye syndrome) about N-Acetyl Cysteine being good for daytime thirst. I have combined that with some bicarb and my daytime thirst is a whole lot better than it was. Those might be a couple of things worth trialing to see if they help you with cutting down - esp. if you are reacting to acidity as I was.

I struggle with this too. I used to drink a gallon plus 3-4 glasses of v8, oj or something with lots of potassium (I'm on florinef) than a dr told me it was too much, I was depleting minerals and to only have 62 oz.

at 62 oz I am SO thirsty. It's been a real struggle. I've decided that Ill drink a min or 62 oz. if I'm thirty or on really hard days I allow more. I'm just always thirsty. Sometime I think I could drink the ocean. I told him that and he said "why are you thirsty." Grrrr & he works witha. Lot of pots patients.

B

I struggle with this too. I used to drink a gallon plus 3-4 glasses of v8, oj or something with lots of potassium (I'm on florinef) than a dr told me it was too much, I was depleting minerals and to only have 62 oz.
at 62 oz I am SO thirsty. It's been a real struggle. I've decided that Ill drink a min or 62 oz. if I'm thirty or on really hard days I allow more. I'm just always thirsty. Sometime I think I could drink the ocean. I told him that and he said "why are you thirsty." Grrrr & he works witha. Lot of pots patients.

Bananas, where are you living. I was told to cut back an the caffeinated drinks and that OJ would be okay, however when I drink too much I feel likeihave overdone and my body was canceling out the minerals I needed. It is frustrating.

My 24 hour urine test showed an output of 9.2L but all my blood work has indicated normal electrolyte levels. Per doctor's recommendation, I have cut back to 3-5L per day, with 80% of the liquids being more than water (Nuun, Vitamin Water, Propel, etc.). I feel like I would be dehydrated at only 2L. I once ended up in the ER for hyponatremia after I ran a marathon as my sodium levels were severely diminished (even though I only drank Gatorade), so I guess you do need to be careful with liquid consumption levels.