Hey Guys Important Question Regarding Hiatal Hernias And Pots

I just had an uper and lower scope done, and the upper part of it revealed that my nissen wrap has came loose. I don't even know if that's dangerous???? However, I don't get heartburn like I use to and I did develop POTS, which has effected my heart rate and digestion I'm wondering if this wrap could be irritating the vagus nerve, because my sypmtoms are not as severe as some people, I don't have nausea or vomitting, I don't have an appetite a lot of the time but I still can eat sometimes like a full pizza or a burger it's weird, I have lost a good amount of weight, but i seem stable around 141 (normal being 170)

--- Could this loose wrap be giving my vagus nerve some irritation instead of direct damage? What about scar tissue, I know revising the wrap is very risky considering more vagal nerve damage which is one of the big causes of pots. Or maybe I should have it done away with completely? I don't know what to do at this point....

Well I don't know if this helps at all....

I had an upper and lower scope as well and showed that I too had a hiatal hernia, never had any symptoms (other than normal self inflicted stupidity ) Am now on meds and feel like crap, my doc is re-doing the scope in July (Yay Me....lol)

I will be googling loose wrap and such.

Good luck

I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to just say. Last year when I was having many symptoms I had the scope and they found gastritis and a small hiatal hernia. I asked if this could be causing some of my problems and was told no.

But I just read an article in the New York Times that showed so many of my symptoms caused by a hiatal hernia. It also stated that woman's hernia's can be more difficult to find and even small ones can cause big problems. So now I have to find a doctor to re-look at this. I am currently unable to bend, drive, go up stairs, etc...

This article (which I will have to look for the link) also stated that it can cause heart symptoms and stimulate the vagus nerve.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this! Do you have a Dx of Joint Hypermobility Syndrome or Ehlers-Danlos III? I don't have any experience with hiatal hernia personally, but I remember reading that they are common with JHS/EDS-III. Best of luck, and feel better!

I've had the nissen 3 times now, all within a years time, with no relief. My dr found a hernia after the 2nd surgery and said he fixed it during the 3rd. It was still seen on my last scope. Digestive issues are my main concern and problem right now, have been for 4 years. I've seen 4 or 5 gi's locally and all threw their hands up as to what was going on with me (diagnosed with GERD). I got a referral to a gi at Froedtert and he's the one that suspected pots and sent me for testing. I had never heard of pots before then and I was really disappointed to have something else wrong. I've tried all the GERD meds, diets, had the surgeries and I'm still suffering. The surgery was redone because the surgeon said my wrap was too loose so he went in and tightened it...twice. Well it's still loose! But he didn't want to make it tighter because that can cause issues also. I've had to have numerous biopsies done of my esophagus because the acid erosion is to the point it looks like cancer. It doesn't matter if I eat or not, what I eat, when I eat, I still get symptoms..more severe if I do eat or drink. I think this is the part that is so frustrating. It's very difficult for people to understand that I can't eat this or that or I can't eat and drive/ride because of the severe nausea. My vagus nerve is messed up. If I eat everything goes out of whack. My heart rate, bp, dizzy, faint, exhausted, bloated. As far as I've been told and read, there's nothing they can do to fix the vagus nerve. I'm sorry you're suffering. This part is really tough.

Agreeky -- there were two articles, I am trying to find the second one. This one is about hernias and women, but its not the one about hiatal hernias. Still it is interesting, I will try and find the other article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/health/17brody.html?_r=1&

I am having worse and worse pain with less and less movement, maybe its the hernia or maybe it is something in spine, I don't know but if it gets any worse, I will probably end up in er. I am trying to take it easy, and yet trying to keep moving.