Grapefruit (Juice), Beta-Blockers And Calcium Channel Blockers

Guest Alex

Guest Alex

I've been reading contradictory info from what seem to be reliable sources on the so called "Grapefruit Juice Effect" and beta blockers.

Some sources state no interaction whatsoever, while others indicate that the furanocumarine (a substance found in grapefruit) can block the cytochrome ...something enzymes. These enzymes are involved in the metabolism of over 50 % of drugs, including beta blockers.

Most commonly reported side effects are abnormal hearth rhythms, stomach bleeding, hypotension, muscle breakdown, kidney damage, dizziness, difficult breathing and sedation.

Pomelos and limes contain furanocumarine as well, so I guess the same dilemma applies to these as well.

These seems to be a consensus that grapefruit should be avoided altogether by those taking calcium channel blockers, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the same applies to betas or not.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-08/acs-nrt072308.php (yes to interaction)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/427628-grapefruit-juice-beta-blockers/ (no to interaction)

To make things even more complicated, some sources (sorry, I can't find the website now) suggest avoiding apple and orange juice as well...so much for a healthy diet...

Alex

Guest Alex

I agree Dave, I've been reading plenty of controversial info on livestrong. The thing is, those are not the only 2 sources where I read contradicting ideas on this topic ....too lazy to look up more now :(

I tend to think that the article citing the research from Canada is the real deal, so I guess grapefruit juice should be a no-no with betas!

Beta blocker takers beware!

Btw, this warning applies to those taking benzos as well - I learned it the hard way...

Alex

I don't drink grapefruit juice anymore because of my stomach issues but my Lyme doc had told me I should always avoid eating drinking citrus within 2 hours of taking any medication to make sure I am minimizing the risk of the effect citrus can have on medication (grapefruit being the worst.) I don't know how accurate this info was but it seems like a sensible rule of thumb.