Large Diastolic Bp Rise On Standing

Does anyone else have this? Was a doctor able to explain it to you? My sitting blood pressures of about 112/60 will consistently see my diastolic rise to ~80 on standing/walking, while my systolic will only raise about 10-20 points.

My only thought is it is related to my general diastolic dysfunction, or a compensatory mechanism for my diastolic being generally low sitting/supine. Or maybe it's just the dysautonomia.

Guest Alex

The diastolic blood pressure is an indirect measure of peripheral vascular resistance. As the blood vessels constrict and the vascular resistance increases, the diastolic blood pressure is either maintained or increases.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere (possibly here on dinet) that there is a correlation between supine diastolic hypertension and hypovolemia. Have you been evaluated for that?

Another possible cause of isolated diastolic BP are thyroid issues (If I recall correctly hypothyroidism) but I am not sure if this is an orthostatic issue in those with thyroid issues.

What about your pulse pressure? (that would be the difference between the systolic and the diastolic BP). If that is narrow (I believe lower than 40 mm Hg) then it may be an indication of hypovolemia.

Alex

Guest Alex

Dave, I just remembered...

you are on midodrine, right? That is known to be producing an increase in vascular tone (thus the goose bumps and the tingling sensations). Is this BP issue something that came after you started the midodrine?

Just a thought.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I think the large diastolic standing increases maybe correlated with my use of midodrine, but I don't have enough standing blood pressures pre-midodrine to be sure. Thanks for the tips! The hypovolemia also sounds likely to me since I do have very low supine diastolic since this started.