Video Found On Mayo Site

kitt

I found this video mentioned on a Mayo site, and it said this deficiency could cause MS, and almost every conceivable neuro disease including dysautonomia.

It's one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen. How many on DInet have this I can't help but wonder. Easy to get checked, and easy to treat.

Interesting. It does make you wonder. I have the tremor, like this girl, and gait issues. So many of the problems listed. It is interesting that your serum levels can be okay but on the cellular level you may not have enough. Because I just recently became a vegan my doc has me using sublingual B12 and whether or not this is contributing to my improvement or it's just the whole thing that I'm doing combined ---something is helping me.

Issie

Dr. Goodman at Mayo just discovered I have a severe B12 defficiency when I was there a couple of weeks ago. He feels that addressing that issue will make a huge difference in how I feel. I've been on the B12 about a week now, but I know it will take some time to build up in my system. I'm also supposed to get re-checked after four weeks to make sure my body is absorbing the B12. If it doesn't, I'll have to get the injections. This video makes me hopeful that the B12 might help more than my pessimistic mind thinks! Thanks for sharing! :)

This is extremely interesting! Thanks for sharing. So what is increased B12 indicate? I thought it was water soluble. Doing more research!! I stopped taking it as often, after I asked my Primary Physician for the test and had increased levels. My Neurologist never tested me for it, which surprised me. So are they saying you need a tissue sample to really know for sure? Getting my homocysteine levels checked, and a protein electrophoresis. If you are deficient in certain proteins you can have some of the symptoms we have with dysautonomia, as well, according to physician of a friend.

It really is astounding!

2 websites...

First which suggests which form of B12 to take. The lozenges...and the Methyl! Not cyanocobalamin.

I bought 1000mg B12 methyl lozenges at Whole Foods tonight.

Be careful where you buy vitamins and supplements. If you're buying them anywhere other than a quality health food store you're taking a risk. The bottle may say 'distributed by New Hampshire' but they can be sourcing from China. If you're buying at Costo or a pharmacy you may be taking a risk. Your decision, and anyone can do their own research on it.

Here's a good primer on how to take.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/374400-how-to-take-methyl-b12/

Here's a fascinating article on how differently the Japanese view B12 requirements compared to the US, and they have very few Alzheimers patients in Japan.

Also a great piece on the methyl form of B12in this paper, and why to take that form as opposed to the others.

http://the-moneychanger.com/articles/what_you_dont_know_about_vitamin_b12_can_hurt_you

Thank you so much for sharing this extremely interesting video and for all of the valuable information. My B12 was normal 18 months ago but I am wondering if it still is as my diet is more vegetarian than it was and I have started to develope new neuropathy symptoms. Maybe I need to add another dietary suppliment to my growing list.

Issie. I will be anxious to hear about how you do with your vegan diet. I have thought about going down that path. When my husband and I eat out we go to a local vegan restaurant called The Loving Hut because its really good and also one of the few places that serves food I can tolerate.

I love my diet. I've been doing it for 4 months now. Really good results with it. We have a Loving Hut here in Phoenix. I took my hubby there last week. It was his first experience with a vegan restaurant. He really enjoyed it and informed me that he is going to go more that way with his diet too. He doesn't plan to totally go vegan but more vegetarian. All is good with it. Just a few things I miss - but, I've messed up enough with it to really see what foods were doing to me that I didn't even realize. I'm more tuned into when foods are not good for me and notice it before I eat the whole thing and get sick from it and not know why I'm feeling so bad. It address my autoimmune issues and many things in connection to the dysfunction of my body. I'm really careful to make sure I'm getting enough plant proteins too. I keep up with what I eat and record it in a program that I found on the net that is free. So, I know if I'm getting all the vitamins and minerals that I need and know my fat levels and proteins and carbs. I'm eating so much more healthy then I ever did when I was an animal product eater. I can tell that my gastro symptoms are so much better. For once in my life everything is working properly on that level. Also, I have moons in my fingernails and they have smoothed out and hardly no ridges in them. I'm also assimilating my foods so much better. My skin looks better and I've lost some much needed weight. My energy levels have come up too. Things are slowly improving with everything. I plan to stick with this. It is a lifestyle change. Something I have control over and can do for myself. So far, my results are impressive.

Issie

Issie. I'm so happy for you that you're seeing such noticable improvements with eating vegan. Its amazing that a change in diet can have such a huge impact. I know for myself what foods can cause me an enormous amount of grief. Thank you for sharing your success. It's very encouraging. What we eat makes all the difference in the world. The old saying we grew up with, you are what you eat, is sooo true. Of course what is beneficial for one person may not be for another especially since we all seem to have such different associated GI issues and special dietary needs. Im really glad you found a program to help with making sure you are taking in what is nutritionally necessary. That can be more of a challange when you are a vegan.

That's great that you have a Loving Hut near you as well. I knew it was a franchise but I had never looked to see where outside of California they might also be. Its interesting that each one has its own menu. It sure helps that your husband is supportive of a completely different way of eating. My husband is as well.

I have moons on my finger nails but I can't seem to get rid of the terrible ridges.

Janet