Marginal Blood Test Results?

Racer

My doctor said my blood tests were normal, and I trust him, but reviewing the record shows slightly low wbc, high mo%, and high ba%, all outside of normal range. He said wbc was not low enough to worry, and seemed to brush aside the mo% and ba% as insignificant? Anyone know what these abbreviations mean?

mo% and ba% are the percent of your white blood cells that are various subtypes (monocytes and basophils). If it were me I'd be a little concerned but if they are only slightly low or off I wouldn't be too concerned. If they are low again during your next blood test I would be more concerned. I think when things are slightly off (in my personal mind) it's more about trends than about an individual result, but that's just me and I'm not a doctor so I can't give you any medical advice, just how I would approach it.

wbc - white cells blood count

MO - monocytes (the MO percent in your blood represents the biggest white blood cells which fight the foreign cells that might be there to attack your system.If you do not have enough your body is not going to be able to fight foreign cells, and if you have too much they may begin to attack cells which are not foreign and therefore it is going to attack the cells in your system which may be there for immunity.)

BA - absolute basophils - a type of white blood cells responsible for controlling inflammation and damage of tissues in the body.

Alex