nerve irritation from wisdom teeth

joyce68

I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience. I have impacted wisdom teeth that are wrapped around the nerves, so that they can not be removed without causing permanent nerve damage to my face. It all started with the jaw pain about a year ago, I had one of the teeth in front of one of them removed because it was killing that tooth last March, formed a dry socket and was in terrible pain for almost two months. The current bad POTS episode started about the same time. I was thinking that the constant irritation to the nerves from the teeth trying to shift could be causing the entire nervous system to be in high gear. I asked my cardio about it, he said it could be a possiblity but wasn't sure. Of course who would be, our bodies are so odd in there response to anything. I just was curious if anyone else has had a problem with their wisdom teeth or any teeth. Right now the right lower wisdom tooth is trying to break through the gum, and I am in terrible pain, so of course POTS symptoms are getting worse. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

joyce

Joyce, I had two impacted wisdom teeth and they were wrapped around stuff too. I still have a little numb area under my tongue on one side (pulled at 18, I am now 50) The other caused a little area on my chin to be numb for about a month. But I'm glad I got them pulled. If they are irritating other cranial nerves, it seems possible they could be affecting other things. I'd just make sure an oral surgeon does it. A lot of dentists do and they probably shouldn't unless the teeth are erupted. morgan

I am having a similar problem as we speak! Every few months or so, I will have a couple of days where my impacted wisdom tooth acts up and causes pain, and then it will go away and come back later on. 2 days ago it started, and it has been hurting a lot since then. I had one impacted tooth removed about 3 years ago, and it was a horrible experience, so I never want to do it again unless I have to! I would love to have the 3 remaining teeth taken out, but I am just so terrified of the medications they use and how my POTS will be affected. Plus, I am pregnant right now and I am really hoping this flare-up goes away on it's own, at least until after the baby comes. All I can take is Tylenol and it doesn't help much with the pain. Good to know others can relate, but too bad we can't just have normal dental work done like everyone else :blink:

Guest Mary from OH

Yes!!!!! All three of my wisdom teeth were like this!!

Also, I am currently having additional nerve problems with my teeth. I have already broken one tooth and had to then have a crown and then a root canal in the same tooth!! You're talking to someone who's only had one cavity their whole life!!!

I was initially put on Klonipin for MY NERVES IN MY JAW, NOT MY POTS!!!! My jaw had gotten so bad and so inflamed that I only had one tooth touching in my mouthl I could not close my jaw. I have more teeth touching now because of the Klonipin and nerve block injections and grinding down my teeth to force them to align again. I thought I was the only one who was nuts!!

Is this POTS related????

:blink::blink:

I have had 3 opinions on my teeth. I hate that some of you are going through the same kind of thing, but I am so releived to know that I am not alone with this one. The last surgeon told me the damage was pretty definite just a matter of whether just a small part of my tongue or lips end up numb or whether I won't be able to feel my mouth at all. I am also afraid of the meds for the surgery and after having the dry socket last time, that was just miserable. I am on my way to the dentist (again) in just a few minutes to see if there are other options. I look like a chipmunk and can't close my teeth together. Not to mention I can't sleep because of the pain. tylenol and advil just don't help.

thanks

Joyce