Can I Have A Little Encouragement And Advice?

Edin

I applied for SSI a few months ago and instead of getting a letter of approval or denial they scheduled me for a medical exam this coming Wednesday. I know it's not out of the blue since I haven't been able to go to the doctor since 2010, but I'm still really stressed out and overwhelmed. Mostly because I have to go alone; I've rarely gone anywhere without my mom since I became ill, let alone something this important. I know me being confused and slow with things will help my claim, but I can't help feeling so bad about this.

Being approved for this is incredibly important to me, so do any of you have some words of advice for me?

I tried looking up the doctor that I will be seeing to see if they are the type to keep things short or not, but they really didn't have anything about them. I was thinking, should I write out a list of the symptoms that keep me from working before I go? And if so, how should I organize it? I have a hard time focusing my thoughts and when I go in I don't want to forget something really important that might help me.

Ironically I have an appointment next week with a doctor for my disability claim. My husband has to take off work because I no longer am able to drive. I was told that it would take 4 hours. I can't imagine how I can be upright and function at all for 4 hours. Have decided I will do the best I can and quit if I have to, no matter what. I will take water and some snacks as I don't go that long without eating somethong. Try not to worry...just do what you can. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck! I will be thinking about you!

hi there,

I've experienced similar feelings. My mom goes to all my dr appointments with me and the first time she couldnt been there I had a lot of anxiety about it. dr's tend to judge me because I have so much going on medically (symptoms and dx's). My mom was always my rock and reminded me of things I forgot to mention or stress a certain symptom/issue. So i know the anxiety/worry but I got through it and i know you can too! Its different but im sure you, like most of us, have made it through many struggles and this will be a small one if your path, hopefully.

I do recommend a list of symptoms! I now make one for every doc appointment- i put my symptoms and questions. I tend to put them in category on morning, afternoon and night. But I also make a side list of when/what makes them worse. I put it on a lined piece of paper and somewhat group things like in little sqaure in that makes sense? I have also made them in groups of body part and symptoms. So like head: sharp pain, head ache, dizzy (on the side: worse with: low fluids, standing for long amounts of time. Stomach: cramping, bloating...ect. (worse with..). Most docs find it helpful but I have had two say I was being too indepth and paranoid...I was offened! But more have found it helpful then not! I hope this helps at least a little bit!

I wish you all the best in your appointment! It will all work out :)

Thank you very much you two! And I hope your appointment goes well, angelloz.

I'm feeling better after cooling off. I think a lot of it was initial shock. I'm doing my best to pump myself up, and I start to get a little excited when I think of it like: if I can get through this, well I'm just that much closer to getting an approval or at least I hope so. I'll be working on a list to bring with me tomorrow, so I think I should be prepared when I go.

I'll let you all know how well I think it went.

I think it went alright. It was a lot more basic than I was expecting actually. We went over major symptoms, checked the regular stuff, did the resistance/pushing test, grip, walking/balance, and a few other basic stuff and that was it. Though one thing I found odd was when she was pressing on my back my spine actually hurt a lot more than the muscles around it. Anyways, I think it went okay, mostly because as I was leaving she told me something along the line of 'It must be hard living with those symptoms.'

I'm not sure when I'll hear back from social security, I actually forgot to ask.... but I'll post an update on the result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the letter today, sadly I've been denied. It said something along the lines of: You said you are disabled because of POTS, CFS, and GERD. (It didn't even mention my Chronic headaches which is the worst symptom I have.) Your current symptoms are not severe enough to be considered disabling. Evidence does not show that your ability to perform basic work activities is as limited as you indicated.

That last sentence felt like a punch to the gut... but anyways, it says I have 60 days to appeal if I want to. My mom told me to just give up because they are probably taking my age into account (18) and the fact that some people can recover. After asking multiple times if I should appeal, she just said I can if I want, but it doesn't sound like she'll be very supportive with this.

What do you all think I should do?

Since you are 18, I assume you are applying under your parent's work credits? If so, then you absolutely need to appeal this and get signed on under them. I was never able to work enough to even be eligible for SSD. I would try to explain that to your parents. The longer you wait, the worse off you are going to be in the end. There may be a time when you will really need this money and you won't be able to get it and won't be able to work. Hire a lawyer and let them figure out the best way to show you really are disabled. They know what works!! Good luck!!

Anna, they did ask me how long I could stand up and I said only for 5-10 minutes, I also said I could only sit down in a chair for about an hour.

Dana, no I applied for SSI. I think my mom tried applying me for that when I was sixteen but they said she made too much even when she was on unemployment, which she is no longer. And about the lawyer, do I have to pay out of my pocket for them, because if so I can't afford it.

I'll talk it over with my mom when she gets back tonight.

I saw appeal if you can on principal. I know people take advantage of the system..but it is not the fault of those that truely need it.

At my exam she kept taking my blood oxygen with a pulse ox... when it got too low she made me stop and said it wasn't safe to proceed. Still haven't heard back on disability.

• 2 weeks later...

After talking to quite a few attorneys, they all said I don't have a case. It's really disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. My mom said she'll continue to support me and will make some changes herself. This is just another rough patch, we'll get through it. Thank you for all your help.

Hire an attorney to appeal that specializes in SSI/SSDI and there will be no upfront costs or fees. If an attorney wants anything up front, find someone else. The attorneys who work in disability get paid when they win your case.

Susanhs, those are the type of attorneys I contacted. It basically came down to, because I don't have any semi-recent medical documents, they can't build a case. (It's been about 3 years now. And I'm pretty sure my young age doesn't help me either.)

Yes, unfortunately you need thorough documentation in order to have a case. Do you have insurance under your parents? It seems that maybe you should get a good primary care doctor who can refer you to the right doctors. It may take some time to build a case, but maybe the docs can determine the cause of your illness and treat you for it. Who knows? Maybe it is something that is curable. You're so young, just don't give up on yourself. Take care.