Driving

Leigh8

Hi guys,

I had an appointment with my neurologist a few weeks ago and he told y I should not drive. I faint and am constantly dizzy, so I wasn't driving anyways. But, he made me sign a form saying I understand that I am a medically at-risk driver, and will not drive until I have a doctor's approval.

Apparently in my state medical professionals are not allowed/required to contact the DMV to remove a patient's driver's license, since it is a violation of HIPPAA. But I guess the hospital just does this form instead.

Has anyone else had this experience? Did your doctor forbid you from driving??

I'm sorry you feel so bad you can't/shouldn't drive. I haven't driven in over a year, it's killing me and wearing down relationships of those around me having to always depend upon others to get me places. My doctor did not tell me not to drive, I just know that I can barely function as it is and that driving would be a disaster. I don't trust myself in the car, not alone and definitely not with my kids. When I told me current/new neurologist that I wasn't driving and hadn't been, he acted weird and kept questioning why. I thought it was obvious that I just said I'm extremely lightheaded!!! He should agree and not want me on the road too.

My doctor has never forbid me to drive, however..... there are many days that i know i cannot do it, nor can i drive safely, so i will stay home. Many times I can make it 3 miles and have to pull over and lay down in the seat..... i have no energy or strength in the limbs, especially arms and neck. I can't even hold my arms up to drive, and I cannot even hold my neck up either. I always feel like I'm "stuck" in some type of "pre faint mode" but for long periods of time. This disease has affected my driving for about 5-6 years now. It's gotten a bit better though. I very much understand. HUGS.

tennille :)

A few weeks ago I started having some weird neurological symptoms, like hallucinating smells and light sensitivity, and my neurologist is concerned it may be indicative of a seizure disorder. I had an MRI and EEG, but since those aren't very reliable I basically just have to wait and see if I start getting seizures. In the meantime, he told me to try not to drive...indefinitely. It's very frustrating! I was only driving a couple of times a week anyway but now I've very hesitant.

In my state you have to sign something when you renew your license saying that you're medically fit to drive. I think if you get in an accident due to medical condition that you already knew about, you can be liable.

I feel like this illness takes so much away from us, I guess driving is just another one of those things. I'm sorry that you feel too bad to drive and I'm sure it's still frustrating for it to be forbidden!

I truly understand the frustration of not being able to drive. I've posted this before, but when I went before a disability judge, he said if I was in an accident for fainting or anything related to this illness, that it could result in me going to prison! Sure put the fear in me. Funny thing though, Drs have told me not to drive, but never had me sign anything.....go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't drive, and probably never will again at this point (I have a license, have never owned a car, but used Zipcar to get cat litter, etc - an hourly car rental). I mentioned to my psychiatrist (when we thought it was a med side effect) that it didn't seem safe, and she agreed; I did drive briefly last summer with my partner coaching me, but in the last six months I have been much too spacey to drive. I like what hilbiligrl says above - "I always feel like I'm "stuck" in some type of "pre faint mode" but for long periods of time" - certainly no fun! My neurologist has never said I can't drive, but when I mentioned that I didn't feel safe, he said "okay." I think he trusts my judgment. I'm reluctant to give up my driver's license if I don't absolutely have to.

My dad suggested I get a motorcycle or scooter so that when I am too spacey I will at least only injure myself. Wow, thanks, Dad, I really appreciate the help. These days I am uncertain about bicycling (an okay way to get around Seattle) - I can't ride an upright bike for unrelated medical reasons, and I don't want to spend the money on a recumbant bike until I know it's safe. Back when I did bicycle (upright bike) it was a good way to get groceries home. One can certainly order heavy things like cat litter from Amazon, though it's a little more expensive. I've considered, if biking works, getting an electric assist bike to navigate steep uphills to save my heart and lightheadedness!

It's annoying having to think about public transit, etc when figuring out where to move to next year. Does the place have good public transit? Does it operate later at night, on Sundays, etc? Can it get me to an airport, hospital, etc? Is the place walkable so I can walk to buy groceries since I can't drive? Etc. Very glad Seattle meets all of those criteria, and I can take buses nearly literally door to door from home to work if I absolutely have to. In some ways I'm glad I found out the driving thing before moving out of the city or buying a house... I always wanted to live in the country but now I think it's just not an option.