Heat And Feeling Faint : What Can You Do?

AussieOI

Today I went to a BBQ and it was quite a warm day 35 Celsius or 95F. I was sitting chatting and feeling so boiling and I then I started feeling a bit light-headed. What do people do to cool down and also what counter- maneuver's do people employ to ward off a possible faint?

I was crossing my legs and wriggling my toes under the table today!

I just can't handle being outside for long when it's hot.

No I haven't however I have had times when I nearly have. My form of OI is Neurally mediated Hypotension so I get a big drop in bp and a big increase in heart rate which can lead to near fainting episodes. I always wriggle my toes, and flex my legs to get the blood moving back up my legs to prevent it.

I've learned to bring a wet dish towel with me in a baggie. If I start to overheat I put it around my neck, or press it to me face, hands arms and legs. I have also used ice cubes in my hands, rub on wrists and around my neck.

However if I start to get the presyncopes, I have to get flat until it passes and then go inside. I love really cold drinks with a straw too.

I have an ice pack kit I bought that had two large gel packs and the holder looks something like an abdominal binder. When I have to be out in the heat, I wrap this around my torso to try and keep my core temp cooler. Ice packs on the back of my neck to cool the blood going directly to my brain also seems to keep me "cooler". I think it really just tricks my body but I'll take what I can get. Cold drinks (non-dehydrating) and no direct sunlight. I have mcas and react to too much direct sunlight.

Dysautonomia messes with our ability to sweat therefore, we are unable to cool down very well. I can tolerate heat for a couple of minutes then, I have to find somewhere cooler to hang out. I do not attend a function where there is no shade or no place cool to sit. I pretty much nix the outdoors in the summer - it is just plain too hot!