Getting Tested For Diabetes..another Thing?

jkoconne

Hi all,

So 3 weeks ago i started having diff symptoms- blurried vision, higher than normal bp, exhaustion (worse then ever, especially after eating) and constantly needing to pee. I called my neuro and they said it was probably a flare up becasue they are all symptoms of pots. Well then i wound up in the ER a week ago and they found my blood sugar level too be diabetic high!

Today i went in for a follow up. My primary looked back at all my blood work from the past 2 years and i guess on 2 other occasions its been border line too high. Im a very thin girl so type 2 seems odd to me...and no one in my immediate or extended family has diabetes. Im a little confussed..

Friday I will go in for a A1C (average blood sugar over last 3 months) and a glucose tolerance test (blood fasting and blood 2 hours after sugar drink). My personal trainer told me to get an at home monitior to check my levels to see if its high all teh time or randomly. In the past i thought i had low blood sugar but no one ever looked into it.

I understand diabetes is controll able to i have to deal with so much medically already im kind of overwhelmed at the idea of another condition I have to monitor and get nervous of side effect on my body and such :(

Anyone on here have this issue before? or has diabetes?

I'll let ya know when i get the results, wont be for peobably 2 week :/

P.s. sorry for posting it in the wrong forum first :P

J,

You might be "young" enough to actually have type 1 diabetes. What was your level when they tested your glucose? What had you eaten prior to the ER trip, and how long before?

I ask because I have alot of blood sugar issues. It is probably a great idea to get that meter so you can test at home. Test first thing in the morning, before anything. Then test 1 hour after a meal, then 2 hours, then 3 hours. You'll begin to see a trend of what is going on.

Sometimes I think we get odd highs occasionally because our adrenaline is always pumping out when we get up and do things. The adrenaline tends to cause insulin resistance, thus making our glucose go higher.

I have a long history of hypoglycemia, and am getting ready to have an in-depth look at it again.

I met someone once who was diagnosed Type 1 at 45... that was odd. My good friend from college got Type 1 at 18. It does happen late in some cases.

Diabetes can actually cause small fiber neuropathy in the legs, which can lead to increased blood pooling, which can then lead to POTS or POTS-like symptoms. When I had too little sweating in my QSART test, I got my A1c tested to rule out diabetes; it's a pretty common test for differential diagnosis. If it helps, I did have absurdly frequent urination (3 times in 20 minutes once!) while on a trip with the good friend from college; I was drinking more water than usual (4L a day instead of 2L) and it turned out I just wasn't taking enough salt in, so I just increased my salt and things resolved once I got home.

You can probably wait to get a blood sugar meter until you get the A1c results back; if nothing else if you do develop diabetes then insurance should cover some of the cost! These days Type 1 is pretty controllable for some folks (less so for others, it depends on a lot of factors). For example, my younger advisor in grad school is in his late 30s and is Type 1, and the only way I know is that I saw his pump when we first met; he's a super productive person and can do things I could never do (not enough sleep, too much work, young daughter). My good friend is a merchant mariner who spends most of her life working on a cargo ship. (there are totally folks with Type 1 who have tons of issues, but I thought I'd mention a few examples who are doing well)

Thanks for the input!

sue- isnt type 1 genetic though? and it was 180 in the ER, and then today an hour after a meal (lunch) it was 185, hour later 177, hour later 120.

Then an hour before dinner was 100, hour later 119. I need to read up more but ive been putting it off until the testing is done. Im hoping things even out. Like i said, the symptoms have only been strong for about 3 weeks and im not sure if something else is causing it.

Peregrine- Interesting that people get diagnosed at thoes time in life. thanks for the info. Ive had a lot of testing done in the last 6 years and my levels have always been 'normal' so until this i didnt know 2 times i was border line not normal. I'll have to see what the tests say! but im hoping it evens out.

I know the doc said that the treatment would only be dietary changes...so that wont be too hard to change but a pain!

Hunh - if they said diet only then they probably do mean Type 2. Type 1 is sort of genetic, but the risk of getting it if your mother or father has it is still only around 10%; folks I know who have it don't have it in their families. Like other autoimmune disorders, it sometimes happens to people with no obvious family history.

jkoconne

it does appear to be similar to type II, and of course that is what I am. those numbers appear to be much like what I did see when I started testing. Wait until you get your A1C test before going forward with an diet changes, and if it is above mid 6's then they should give you a prescription for testing. I would also recommend to keep away from high fructose corn syrup, and reduce your carb intake. If needed check out diabetes daily which has a good forum for extra help.

I do manage mine well with diet and excersise as does my 84 yr old father, (HEDS/OH) so as you can see mine is hereditary and somewhat mild. My A1C now usually runs 5.5 to 5.9. It only affects the males in our line but we have some distant cousins in central IN, that it does cause problems in the females at as early as age 20. I have joked with them that it may be their indian blood in their ancestory, that is causing the females to have the problem in the very early 20's, who knows?

I do otherwise have HEDS though very minor and Raynaud's syndrome, and my son#2 has HEDS/NCS/POTS but no diabetes so far. Good luck

DADofPotsSon

DADofPotsSon

Thanks for the info! I workout a min of 5 days a week and avoid all corn (syrup, starch, protine, sugar, ect) due to allergies. My doc said as for now my only change would be to reduce my carb intake. I have been looking into it but nothing drastic until i get the results of my tests. Although im starting to watch my carbs and have protein with them and my blood sugar levels are more in the prediabetic range now. but at the same time my lowest reading has been 88. My moring and night readings have been more in the high 90's.

Thanks again everyone! ill keep you posted

I find it odd that you are pre-diabetic at age 21. Especially since you workout and eat goodand don't have a family history. I have a sneaky suspision that it is somehow related to dysautonomia.

I have been getting odd blood sugar readings. Really low, then high fasting. I know reactive hypoglycemia can go with it.

Have you started checking your blood sugars?

Jamie, you know that I am so sorry you are dealing with this now too! what I find interesting - sometimes, i have normal blood sugar sometimes it shows high (not nearly as high as Jamie's when she went to the doc initially tho). But, I believe both of my parents developed type 2 later in life, (I think, not positive). Last time I saw my birth mom she mentioned it and is on a special diet and tiny compared to the last time I had seen her. couldn't say for sure what my blood sugar is doing since i don't have the means to track regularly and compare results to what I have eaten prior!

I've been considered pre-diabetic since my twenties while at the same time I struggle with low sugars too. So for me my doc thinks it's a dysautonomia thing. I've been eating small meals spread over the day all my life as I couldn't tolereate larger meals. When my doc got concerned about the low levels I came back high again. Strange hey?!

I hope diet will work well for you jkoconne!

Hi all,

Thanks so much! The doc was wondering if it could be related becasue I do randomly get low readings too. The doc is going to send me to an endocrinologist (spelling?) again to make sure my hormone/chemical levels arent causing the high blood sugar. Either way Im going to a nurtitionist to help me learn how to keep it level.

Im really excited about it! Ive been to dietician at mayo but its a very general session and they give me a booklet and im on my way. This new one (not through mayo and out of pocket...but i think itll be worth it) will make meal plans with me. Specializes in people with chronic illnesses who have allergies and specific guide lines to follow. And of course deals with pre/regular diabetes. I've read great things about her while I did my research. I see her next week and am hopeful she can help me :)

Thank you all for your input! You're always there for me when i need some help or encouragement <3

Jamie,

I have blood sugar issues in my family and when younger had times when it would go up. My doc had me start on GTF Chromium and it balanced out my blood sugar. I've not had to go on meds for it and it stopped the swings from high to low. I started out taking 1 in the am and pm. But, now I just maintain with one at bedtime. I don't wake up in the night with my blood sugar dropping on me ----like I had. And I don't have any issues with my blood sugar ---unless I eat something really wrong for me. Hoping the nutritionist will be helpful for you. Thankfully, you are finding things out early and can get something done about it before you have more issues.

Issie