Fluid Increase, Don't Feel Any Better

Jacquie802

Just wondering if anyone feels any benefits of salt loading as well as increasing fluids? I know they must help and that gettin dehydrated wouldn't be good, but why is my blood pressure still crappy? I even drink 20 ounces of v8 in the am and before bed then drink 16oz of water (as well as other fluids throughout the day) but I still feel crappy....

Hey....i have the same qeustion. Fluids and salts dont seem to be making much, if any difference for me. I just assumed it meant i am probaly not suffering from hypovalemia, but then it raises the question...why does iv saline make me feel better ?!

I didn't think that salt loading and fluid loading was helping me either and the florinef for that matter. But if I don't pay attention for a day or two about my salt and fluid, that's when I realize how how it is helping. I also have been off of florinef for a while (for reasons too long to explain) and I only realized after I was off it for a month or so how much it was helping to keep me hydrated. Now I am always thirsty no matter how Mich I take in, the more I drink the more I urinate, and my skin and hair is back to being dry as a bone. I think the benefits happened so gradually that they weren't noticeable to me until I was off or delinquent about it.

I have actually noticed a big difference with the salt and fluid increase. I don't take in nearly as much salt as they recommend, but I grew up in a household where my grandma had to watch her sodium intake so we never used salt in anything. As I got older, I continued to buy unsalted everything because that's what I was used to, and apparently should have been eating more! lol So, I now use a lot of salt by my standards, but probably not by many other people's. Regardless, the salt increase has defnintely helped, and, more than that, I think the fluids because I always had a tendancy to run a little on the dehyrated side pre-POTS. Now, if I slack off on the salt and fluids, I really notice a big difference...especially with being tachy.

k&ajsmom, I wonder if it is an absorption issue for you then? The IV maybe helps because it goes directly into your veins, while the fluids and salt you take in have to be processed and absorbed through the stomach and GI tract?

I too was wondering if salt, fluids and florinef made a difference, but when I slack off, I think I do feel

worse.

How much salt are all of you taking in? I measure out a tsp of salt in the am and put 1/4 tsp in water/gatorade throughout the day. That translates to about 2500 mg extra. I wonder if more would be better? The salt tabs were not good for me.

It takes a while for the body's blood volume to adjust. I don't have any data for this but just my experience. It literally took 5 weeks on Florinef and salt + water loading before I felt a difference. For some people it takes even longer. IV saline works so well because it directly forces the body's blood volume up very quickly. Whereas the body has other compensatory mechanisms for dishing ingested low amounts of fluids elsewhere. Why this is I don't know. Just a theory.

I find I'm always severely dehydrated in the morning and must drink a liter between 6 and 10 before I actually feel better. I also salt load as early as possible. It does help me in the morning. I have a real hard time getting out of bed if I don't drink plenty and eat salt in the am. However, I don't notice any benefit the rest pf the day even though I still drink like a camel who just crossed the desert and salt load. I did ease off the fluids and salt in the pm in the past and that's how I could tell it didn't make much of difference for the rest of the day. However, I stick to it in the hopes I won't wake up as dehydrated but it doen't help. I end up drinking at night sometimes.

hmm CM, well that makes sense. I do have constant gi issues....Colonoscopy was benign so the doc at the hospital said its either ibs or a side effect of pots...deal with it. I have really random malabsorbtion issues. All my vitamins are fine...b's etc except pottassium and my cholesterol is extremely low. (has been for years and years)..so much my doctor said eat bacon, cheese and other high cholesterol foods, good and bad everyday...and then I laughed and said well if I could do that I wouldnt have lost 35 lbs in 3 months sir !!!!

I am always feeling dehydrated as well. EVen on ivs, the nurse said my urine looked concentrated, this was after 5 days in and atleast 7 bags of fluids and a liquid diet, but I did feel better. lol

Now I drink and drink before bed trying to prevent the morning yuckys and to no avail I am still dehyrated by the time I get up.